Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive issues.... not super computer savvy

• Please log in to reply

sparkky

sparkky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, i just got a mac recently cause i was having issues with my PC, i wasnt too sure what, but i got all of my files and everything off of it already... i've been getting this screen for a while but never really realized what it was until i went to restore the computer to factory setting to give it to my parents to use. im not too sure what it means or what im supposed to do. please help! i was planning on giving this to them as part of their christmas present so im sort of in a bit of a hurry :\ thank you in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer.... here is exactly what the screen says...

1 AMD North Bridge, Rev C2
NVMM ROM Version : 4.093.35
6144MB OK
Auto-Detecting SATA Port 1...IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting SATA Port 2..ATAPI CDROM
SATA Port 1 : ST3750528AS CC44
Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD
SATA Port 2 : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N MC00
Ultra DMA Mode-5

3rd Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace

I've discovered that these are hard drives that its trying to tell me are going to crap out soon, I have factory reset this computer already, after i got my files and everyting so i dont need to do a data restore or anything, i just need to know what to do about fixing the hard drives and where to locate them and what not

Advertisements

sparkky

sparkky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pushing F1 DOES boot the computer successfully and is useable on the internet and everything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your exact replacement is HERE at NewEgg but they are out of stock right now.

TigerDirect out of stock also.

Amazon has them for $113.35

Best Buy has them for $108.57

Next you will need a OS installation disk if you did not receive them with your system. Is there data you need to save or have you done that already?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since the system is still operational, I would also buy a sata USB enclosure and clone the old drive to the new drive.
Depending on the drive manufacturer yuo could use their software or use EaseUS Todo backup. That way you will have the recovery partition and will be able to set back to defaults for your parents.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 19 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.