Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't know if this was a scam

• Please log in to reply

bsf5039

bsf5039

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My mother told me yesterday about this person calling her about her laptop that was sending out viruses and causing havoc. She said to me that she barely uses it like twice a month because she also has a desktop computer that she uses more then her laptop. Then she was wondering how this person got her number and laptop but she said that he explained how he got this information but she did not remember because he was Indian and he did not speak English well. So she continue to listen to the this person about this problem and ask if she can download this program that will allow him to take control over her computer and she ask him if he was legit and what company he work for but she could not understand him what he said when he answer those questions. So she trusted him and downloaded this program that allowed to take control over her computer to show what is wrong with her computer and how to solve this problem. My mother told me that he listed 5 things in order to solve this problem, like programs to clean out her computer, and then to get a certified technician. She had to go somewhere that day and the guy kept harassing her about that she has to solve this problem now and she told that she will go tomorrow to a certified technician to fix this issue and told him that many times during the conversation. Then she hung up and call me up to tell this and I told her I think this was a scam and she should run her anti-virus and malmare bytes program just to check if he was right. After that she did that there was no virus to be found on her computer. That's when I thought this was a scam. I just want to know if this was clearly a scam and what could he done and taken from this. I know that her ISP is Pen-tel-data would have said something about this before hand then some random person calling and telling her this so that's why I think it was a scam and also never heard anything like this before. By the way she has Windows XP on her laptop.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This is a scam with a capital S mate and your mother did right to put the phone down on this muppet.

What these guys are wanting you to do is allow remote access to your (her) machine so they can install software, unbeknown to her, that will, in a nutshell spy on her machine and in some cases make it act like a bot server.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Does this mean that her laptop is infected with those programs if so what should I do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your mom's av and malwarebytes found nothing then I doubt it but you can have her log on here and go through the malware forum and have one of our malware techs go through the system completely to make sure. I will post the instructions to do this below and you can follow them when you log on with her laptop.

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here