Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restore to factory

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Wasn't sure where to post, but here's my problem.
Bought Acer with Win7 in Jan/12, still under warranty, I upgraded it to W8 in Oct/12, gave me more problems with
some programs, so I tried to restore it back to factory to no avail.
It wouldn't restore or repair. I have the Recovery Disc set I ordered from /acer. So I attempted to re-install W7.
I went through the process to re-install W7 but have error saying :Windows couldn't load due to software/hardware change and stuck in the loop.
Not a clue where to go from there, bringing it to Best Buy means they'll send it out, but If I have the necessary tools to re-install I'd rather do it myself.

Thanx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you didn't delete the recovery partition try this.

Acer:
Hard Disk Recovery
should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your systems BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
ALT+F10 worked!!

Delete gets me into Biios
In Bios I have 4 options miscellaneaous, Advanced Chipset Config, Integrated Peipherals, PC Health Status, I hit F9 to restore to factory default, have no idea if that helped
I tried the ALT+F10 before to no avail, wonder why it didn't work then???

Thanx a million shaff

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the recovery start and\or finsh?
Is the system back to factory new state now?
How is everything running once the recovery is done?

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Back to factory except no recovery partion. All is working well, not sure if I should re-install W8 without a complete install CD instead of an upgrade like they only offer.
If I have a HDD crash which I do once a year, I wont be able to recover.(I play a lot of online poker and Poker Tracker works my HD really hard)
The ACER recover Disk set was suppose to do that. But failed me.

I need to make a recovery on a seperate HDD, not sure how to apply it.

Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Surprising as the recovery should have recreated the recovery partition also.
I would suggest doing the Win8 upgrade adviser before attempting a upgrade again. That will tell you if there is any issues before installation.

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
The recovery is there, just not showing but I found it in Disk Management.

Thankx for your help. I'll keep W7 as some programs don't play nice with W8, Combofix being one of them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Correct since it is a Hidden Partition you won't see it anywhere except under Disk Management. ;)