Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reinstall WinXP on netbook

• Please log in to reply

philbert2501

philbert2501

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've got an Acer Aspire One netbook running WinXP. I'd like to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS, but of course the little computer doesn't have an optical drive. I've discovered from some googling that I can reinstall using files in the i386 folder found on the drive, but I'm assuming that in order for it to actually format the drive, I'd have to have a bootable CD or flash drive.

I don't have any external cd drives handy and I don't know whether that would work or not anyway, but what I've read indicates that it should be possible to set up a bootable flash drive that I can install from. Thing is, I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this. I don't know if I should use the files from the netbook drive, make the flash drive from a CD, or if it makes any difference.

Any assistance would be appreciated :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'd recommend using WinToFlash. See here: WinToFlash Guide - Install Windows XP from USB Flash drive