Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a PC inside a Betamax

• Please log in to reply

FamousMortimer

FamousMortimer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So here's what I'm working with:

Posted Image

I bought a massive old Betamax VCR, and completely gutted it. Bonus feature - there's space underneath the plastic frame you can see and the metal bottom of the box itself, for space and air. It's roughly 35cm by 45cm by about 10cm deep.

My primary concern is not wasting money on something which doesn't fit / isn't appropriate. I have a few questions which I hope people who've built computers recently can help me with - some general, some specific.

From the people who've done this before (not many help guides on the net for this) it seems the best solution is to buy a tower and remove the...innner case from it? I haven't opened a PC in forever (I've had Macs and laptops for years) so I'm not sure if all towers (probably a mini-ITX one, just so I have plenty of space and fewer power usage worries) have that inner case which can be removed from the outer case.

I was going to get a pico-PSU unit, again for heat reasons. They really don't seem available in the UK all that much, so I may have to import one. Any positive experience with these? There's also the issue of having the blu-ray drive right at the front, a ways away from the motherboard. Aside from the building of a cradle for it, should this be too much of a worry?

I just want someone to tell me "don't worry, you'll be fine". I've got all the tools I'll need to cut a hole in the box for a fan, and for the motherboard's outer bit, I just need a push in the right direction.

Edited by FamousMortimer, 23 December 2012 - 04:29 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi FamousMortimer , Posted Image

You may get some response from a member who is interested in nodding but I think you would be better served on a dedicated site, This is the one I look at occasionally as I have, (in the distant future) a build for a media centre in an old Radiogram.
> http://www.thebestca...x.php/Main_Page

Good luck.

FamousMortimer

FamousMortimer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Much appreciated, I didn't even know that place existed. I am just hoping there's someone who can hold my hand through the process :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome. Posted Image