Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games Freezing Computer

• Please log in to reply

MikeBac

MikeBac

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi. I recently had a virus infection that has required a complete format and reinstall of everything to get rid of it. All programmes were reinstalled from backup discs (known to be clean) or re downloaded from the web.

Prior to the reinstall we were able to play any game on the computer. Since the reinstall we are only able to play the games for 15 - 20 minutes before the screen goes black and we have to hardboot the computer. This applies to all games, even 60min trial games downloaded from BigFish etc.

I run cad and rendering packages all day without any trouble.

Computer
BioStar TA 785GE 128M
AD Athlon 7750 Dual COre 2.7GHz
4GB RAM 3.12GB used
NVidia GForce 210 Graphics Card 1GB memory
450 watt PSU
Windows XP Sp3
750GB HD (5 Partitions) Windows on C
125GB External HD (3 Partitions)

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
MikeBac

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: MikeBac

It may be a coincidence that the freezing has started after a malware attack but are you aware that some malware is so deep rooted in the HDD that not even a full NTFS format will eradicate it, I mention this as you may need the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums.

Common causes of freeing are overheating and a poor power supply so I suggest checking them first, when was the last time that the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

MikeBac

MikeBac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Computer was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Heatsink veins on CPU, fans etc.

I have run speedfan and have pasted the results.

Thanks for the help

Regards
Mike Bac

Attached Thumbnails

• Comp Temps.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Voltages are showing as being ok but as you can see there are a couple of high temps, so that we have a comparison will you run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Couple of questions if I may;

When you did the recent clean out did you also remove the memory sticks and video card and blow out the slots.
Was the heatsink removed and if so was the old thermal paste removed thoroughly and a fresh amount applied.
Have all cooling fans been confirmed as working - any unusual noises from any fan.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

MikeBac

MikeBac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Fans are all working with no funny noises. Side of the case is open at present. CPU was not removed when I cleaned the computer and I did not break the connection between the heatsink and the chip. The computer is however 6 years old. Would it be advisable to remove the heatsink and replace the heatsink paste. The memory was removed and the slots cleaned, but not the graphics card.

HVMonitor screenshot attached.

Thanks

Mike Bac

Attached Thumbnails

• Comp Temps-2.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Readings are more acceptable in HWMonitor :thumbsup:

Unless the heatsink is removed there is no need to remove and reapply the thermal paste on your CPU.

The one temp that is quite high is the GPU, were both readings taken under normal use as the temperature will increase rather a lot when you are gaming, a couple of tests for you to do; http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/ and http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/