Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dangers of uninstalling seaport.exe or bingbar alltogether?

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I was looking at the processes running on my computer with processexplorer and noticed seaport.exe. I went hunting some information about it and on brighthub found a good explanation but it says that according to Microsoft if I get rid of it (it is apparently part of bingbar) "search enhancement features such as search history may not work correctly". Does that mean if I get rid of this firefox won't store my browsing history anymore? Fairly often when I click a link from a google search i get redirected to some url that says "livesearch" at the top and am wondering if this garbage is why. I can't find anything suspicious with regular malware scans, OTL or Hijackthis. I am assuming all this garbage is part of windows bingbar livesearch something or other. Anyway, again will firefox stop collecting my browser history if I get rid of this bingbar thing containing this seaport.exe? Thank u.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you only use Firefox as a browser rather than IE then dump Bingbar immediately Sally.

Doing so will not delete your FF browsing history.

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I mostly use Firefox but sometimes I use IE and for some community calls online i frequently use both simultaneously. I did remove it. Is this going to cause me problems with IE? Thanks again.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The Bingbar is merely a Toolbar and should not affect the Bing search engine in IE.