Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help with New Computer Specs

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I use my computer for creating slide shows, and also use photoshop, psp, and other graphics programs, as well as heavy photography. All take a lot of memory to run. I may run 3 or more of these programs at the same time. I need a computer that can handle this without crashing. I had an online chat with Dell, and this is what they suggested. Total Price $1,520.81
Is this a good deal, and will it hold up to what I need in a computer?
Thanks Jenny

Windows 8, 64-bit, English
Microsoft® Office trial
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
8x Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD)
1 Year Enhanced Support - America's Best Standard Support
Download - McAfee Security Center 1" Year
My Accessories
Also Includes
XPS 8500
Black w/19:1 Media Card Reader
3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
2TB **** RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5 for Win 8
No speakers (Speakers are required t
O hear audio from your system)
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
No Monitor
No Adobe Reader Selected
Shipping Material, Direct
Dell SRV Software ****
English Documentat
Additional Software
Cyberlink Media Suite Essentials BD
US Power Cord
PocketCloud Companion, Standard, Digital Delivery
PCmover Home – Free
Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard, US-English
Dell Laser Mouse
Digital Download Enablement

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,710 posts
:welcome: jenny0013

Having looked at the list and the cost of the items suggested by Dell I feel that you would do better value and performance wise if you looked elsewhere, one of the suggestions that I would make is to have a local tech build you a computer that only includes the hardware components that you know you will make use of, we can help you put a list of components together if required, also doing it this way ensures that any tech support you may require is local to you and you can agree on warranty terms with the tech.

If you would like help to put a list of parts together please start a new topic on the System building and upgrading forum and we will help you there http://www.geekstogo...-and-upgrading/ copy - paste the information that you have post here into the new topic and let us know if there are any items on the list that Dell have suggested that you do not feel that you need.

FWIW. the video card and McAfee are two things that I would definitely change.