Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer fans won't start

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Hi I am new here and my laptop recently started overheating. I have had it since about late 2009 and use it very heavily. Tonight my laptop randomly shutdown while watching a Youtube video. It told me it was overheating. I cleaned the fans. I decided to install speed fan and it is telling me my fan speed it as zero RPM. How can I manually start my fans or is this a warning my fans are broken? I do have an external cooling mat. Any advice on what I should do?

I have tried putting my ear up to the laptop case and I hear something. It is running hot though. I don't know what to do. I am real worried. My access to the internet is a very important part of my life.

If the information helps. I have an HP Pavilion DV4.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 23 December 2012 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It told me it was overheating. I cleaned the fans

Which fans did you clean? There is one inside the case on the cpu but you would have to open it to check that one.
I'm just curious as to what fans you cleaned and how you know they are not running. Can you see them while the system is on? Did you by chance maybe disconnect them while cleaning them out?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I used canned air through the vent on the outside case. I opened them since they have screws on them. My warranty ran out some time ago. I said no RPM because SpeedFan told me this. I do hear stuff inside the case though. Is SpeedFan just not working correctly or do I need to do something manually via SpeedFan or should I uninstall it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I said no RPM because SpeedFan told me this

Speedfan on newer systems seems to have a issue with reporting fan speed wrong.
Have you tried HWMonitor?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I have not tried that yet. Does SpeedFan also inaccurately report the temperature of a system? Its readying very high when I was watching YouTube. Went up to almost 160 degrees Fahrenheit according to SpeedFan. I am using external cooling via a table top fan. It is cool to the touch as of now but 130 degree core temperature.

If that is all the case should I uninstall speed fan first or would keeping it not matter? I have PwM set to 100%.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 23 December 2012 - 11:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes especially with newer systems. That is why we use a couple of programs to check voltages, heat ans fan speeds.
You also could see if in your bios if there is a power area that may show the above readings.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
In the new program you linked, I DLed it and there is no info on my fans. The thing is I DO hear a humming sound coming from my case laptop.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 23 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it could be the fans are not turning fast enough then. Can you actually see the fan?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
No, I can't see the fan without taking my machine apart. The fans where loud for a while before this happened. This became a problem just tonight though. As I said in my first post my laptop started to overheat and automatically shut down.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep the shutdown is a built in process of the cpu to keep it from being damaged. I would suggest that is where you need to start looking. Do you have a pc place near where you can have them open the laptop and check the fan?
BTW when it overheated where was it sitting?

Advertisements

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I have been looking at a few in my area via review. It will take a few days. My laptop was sitting on a cooling mat when this happened. I was watching a video on YouTube.

EDIT

I don't know how accurate any of this is but according to the software for monitoring my computer temperature
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit) at the time I am writing this

motherboard is at a range of 165 to 177

CPU is at a range of 176 to 191

HD is at a range of 105 to 109

This is since I took the big table top fan off it. I am still running my cooling mat. I also hear what sounds like a fan.

I am not getting a reading on my laptop fans.

Any opinions on these numbers? Normal for a laptop?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 24 December 2012 - 01:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A little high honestly.
It really does sound like your cpu fan is not running at the right rate of speed.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Do you think my fans could be starting to go? I am really starting to worry. It gave similar readings when I had just started my computer. So I have some doubts about the accuracy of these programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think your cpu fan is turning but not fast enough.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
If my fans are not running fast enough what could be causing this? Is it software related or hardware problems? I do also have an external cooling mat running so at least that is better then nothing.