Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer fans won't start

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bearings in the fan could be worn out or they could be dry.
Yes the cooling mat helps but I would still suggest you have a shop look at it.

Advertisements

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I am guessing I will have to start making calls ASAP. This is classic Murphy's Law for me. It sucks this happened to me now. I really need to get a back up computer incase my main one fails so I can stay online. Using a tabletop fan keeps my laptop a lot cooler.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 24 December 2012 - 07:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as you keep it on a cooler and a fan blowing over it then you should be ok for awhile.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Well thanks. My laptop does heat up fast when I take the big fan off it. Still hovers around 117 degrees for the CPU, 86 for the Hard drive and 105 for the motherboard. It goes up much higher with the fan. This is just for web browsing. I am not sure if that is completely accurate or not or how hot a laptop normally runs. I just hope the repair shop does not charge too much. Hopefully cheaper then what sending it to Geek Squad would be.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 24 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Considering the compact size of a laptop the temps will be higher but having that fan checked out would verify the reason for the auto shutdown.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I looked online for the prices on laptop fans and they seem to be in the 15 to 20 dollar range. Its just the potential labor charge I am worried about. I will also need to find a computer I could borrow for a few days.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is just a fan it shouldn't take but about 30 minutes to be fixt. It just depends on if they can do it right then at the time.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Any opinion on what a fair price of replacing a fan would be? So I can make sure any repair service is not trying to rip me off?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know what your diagnostic rate is but here where I live it runs about $25.00 to $37.50. A fan you already know I believe.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I just hope its under 100

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

I do apologize good sir, I handed it over to a professional repair man. The fan was clogged with tar. Someone else in my house smokes. I don't smoke. I am straight edge.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah smoke will attract dust and cause the fan to slow down or stop all together. I hope it didn't cost much for the repair.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
It cost 159 dollars, he had to take the whole thing apart. I am using a loaned computer right now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh man that is a lot of money. I am so sorry for that but now you know not to allow the smoking around your laptop anymore. :thumbsup: