Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet issues need help!

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I think this is in the right spot. If its not please move it where it needs to go.

Particulars: I have a netgear n600 wireless dualband router, a motorola sb6121 cable modem (both are a little over a year old), a brand new hp windows 7 computer, and cox communications high speed internet.

Problem: I hooked up the new computer and upon turning it on it immediately recognized my internet wirelessly. It connected just fine and worked blazing fast compared to my old computer. About a week ago (or a few days into using the new computer) my wireless router would (I believe) reboot. The lights would all turn off then turn back on and slowly come back on one by one. Sometimes it would come right back up sometimes it would take a little while. During one of the outages I plugged the modem directly into the back of the computer and I had internet, so I am fairly certain that it is not an internet or modem issue. I did a hard rest on the router (unplugging it, the modem and restarting in order) and it seemed to work so I let it go. Well tonight it started again. I have gone to Google and that search turned up nothing as did my going to the Netgear web page. They want me to pay for support. When it happened tonight I went to plug the modem directly into the computer again and my computer doesn't seem to want to recognize that it is getting the internet fed directly into it. I try to set up a new connection and it asks for a username and password (something I have never been asked for before). This is all really frustrating. I just need to know is the router broken needs replacing? Do I need to adjust settings on the computer, please help me out here.

Also note, these problems only happen at night. They happen while surfing the internet. I'm not torrenting or anything like that, just looking at pictures and reading web pages.

Advertisements