Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data recovery software recommendation?

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Don't know if such recommendations are against policy. I take full responsibility for my choices, of course. So, just wondering, does anybody have any recommendations for do-it-yourself data recovery software? I had two external hard drives that served as a double back-up for the same information. My aunt, who lives on a very small income wanted a back-up drive for generations of family photo's she was scanning and saving on her computer so I decided to give her one of mine. I deleted all my files off of one of my drives to give to her but I messed up and gave her the wrong one. So, she's over-written my files on the right hard drive with her photos and I'm left with a drive I deleted my files off of. I thought about taking it to a store that specializes in data recovery. They want $100. Hey, I'm figuring if this is not too hard to do with your own software, might as well put that money into something that could be useful in the future. The data I deleted consists of both text files of various kinds, image files of various kinds and web pages I saved from my firefox searches. I did a Google search for data recovery software and found out there are several offerings but I'm not sure how to choose one. Anybody familiar with this stuff have any recommendations? Or, am i better off leaving this in the hands of a professional? Thanks.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
You could try Recuva, had some success with that in the past myself. Good luck! :)