Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Acer Aspire desktop only boots to the Acer logo

• Please log in to reply

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think I was a bit premature. After I sent my post I went to start my other pc to update my service packs and I am back to the same thing, one beep and the 1st acer logo. After several attempts it started and I am going to start my updates until I hear back. Any Ideas what it is? Thanks

Edited by chefken, 03 January 2013 - 08:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Everything seems to be going well. I have imaged the disk and I am going to start my service packs. Do I have to install all the downloads (or go with custom). Express is always recommended

Also I have 512 mb ram, should I increase this to maybe 1g to make my system faster? Any ideas what went wrong or what it just one of those things. Thanks I I look forward to hearing from you.

Please only deal with one thing at a time as this will avoid any possible confusion :thumbsup: :

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I finally got back in and tried to download the updates. It could not find wups2.dll. Fixed that problem and express downloaded everything including sp3.

Edited by chefken, 03 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
So everything is now up to date.

How is the PC running.

RE: The Ram question;

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I ran the memory link and they came back with the following suggestions: 256mb upgrade (19.99), 512mb (18.99) 512mb (256x2 39.99) 1gb (512mbx2 37.99) 1gb (29.99) 2gb (1gbx2) 59.99. All are unbuffered, ddr pc3200 cl=3 non ecc 2.6v. I am doing some comparison shopping now. My original problem is back. I went to turn on my pc and it stopped at the white Acer logo. After turning it off and on several limes it booted. Everything worked fine until I had to restart the computer at which point it stopped at the white Acer logo (always the one beep). I could not get it to restart by turning it on and off repeatedly. I left it for about 1/2 hour and tried again, it booted. I turned it off later and it would not reboot. Any suggestions?

Edited by chefken, 07 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
If you are able to successfully boot up the computer;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I ran the HDD diagnostic tool again (ran it previously, I think in post 11ish). It passed the short and the long tests. It was difficult getting it to boot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Are those $ prices for the memory upgrades.

Couple of things for you to do for us if you are able to;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The prices I posted are for their "guarenteed compatible" memory upgrades.

compmngmt.JPG smartfandata.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

The prices I posted are for their "guarenteed compatible" memory upgrades.

Sorry, what I meant was what currency so that I know what country that you are resident so that I could look for the best Ram deals there for you.

No problems showing in your screenshots btw but you do have a lot of unused storage space on your D drive so resizing it in the future should be considered.

Advertisements

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The prices on their site are in USD. I live in Ontario (Canada). Acer just arbritarily cut the drive in half (160GB seagate HDD). I am not sure how to resize. I really appreciate your help. What is the next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
If your budget will allow it purchase a matching pair of 1GB sticks of Ram.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks, I will look into that. I imagine it should improve it's performance. Any further ideas regarding my sporadic booting problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Adding the extra memory will hopefully resolve the boot issue.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was downloading some microsoft updates and I noticed that my computer seemed to be running slower and slower. I ran speedfan and I am posting the results. I was wondering if these settings are o.k. and/or might they be contributing to my booting issue. Thanks as always.

newspeedfan.JPG