Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Acer Aspire desktop only boots to the Acer logo

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Your CPU usage is at the maximum and will be what is causing you problems, please see my canned text below;

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.
What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

If the CPU usage remains high after following the above steps you may need the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums as malware is another possible cause of such behavior.

Advertisements

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I ran the steps you outlined. I run Avast free (iI am wondering if I should change to defender and/or download a spyware program) My HD (160g) is split in two. The main side is only @15% used. The other really nothing. I attaching the log file. Let me know if the info is O.K. as I was having problems trying to attach any other type of file.

Attached File  AutoRuns1.txt   62.02KB   161 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How is the computer running now.

I will look at the autoruns log then wait on your next reply.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It still does not boot/reboot regularly. When it is running it seems fine. I have been following the cpu useage and it appears not to be running so high and so hot. The cpu still gets into the 70+% range on occassion and the temp rises to @40c.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Autoruns is showing nothing that would cause boot issues.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information. :thumbsup:

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry it took so long. Ran the test and I am posting the url;

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25210641

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url which you will note suggests upgrading your Ram as has also previously been advised here.

Please return to the PCPitstop results and with the exception of the driver updates** address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.

Direct link to the results page http://www.pcpitstop...5210641&report=

** Unless you are having problems which can be resolved by a driver update do not update them.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I fixed the problems (except for drivers and memory). It seems to run well with only the occassional boot up problem still.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good to see some improvements in performance :thumbsup:

Lets see if a fresh pagefile helps, see below for "how to"

Open My Computer. At the top right, there is a search field...type pagefile.sys and click the search icon. In the search results, right click on the file (pagefile.sys) and choose Delete...confirm the deletion.

Restart your machine. A new pagefile will be created automatically when the machine starts.

Any chance of you upgrading your Ram as without doing so your computers performance will not be as good as it can be.

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I found a place to get 2x1g new ram for $40.00 with free delivery. I should have it on Wednesday. I will try the pagefile and install the new ram and post back

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok and thanks for the update :thumbsup:

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I finally got my 2g ram and installed it. Everything seems to be both working fine and faster. So far no boot problems. The ram usage never seems to go above 20% even with the cpu running at or close to 100%. Is this normal? My 160g hdd is divided into to 2 @75g drives (it did it autmatically when I did the reinstall) one is nfts and the other is fat32. Should I (or can I) change the drive sizes and change the fat32 to ntsf? I was thinking of using the extra drive space as backup space for one or both of the other computers that use the same dsl modem/router. Thanks for all your help Chef Ken.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad to hear that things are going ok :thumbsup:

For managing partitions check out the free version of Easeus http://download.cnet...4-10863346.html

chefken

chefken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My original problem is back (one beep and stops at the 1st logo screen) I have tried all the things that we have tried before and the problem (intermitently) still occurs. I have noticed that even after adding the additional ram my ram usage does not seem to ever exceed @20%. The cpu frequently runs at 100% (and the monitors show the temps. to be around 50C)causing the system to slow down to a crawl and sometimes temporarily freezing up. When at rest the monitors read 0-2% usuage and @30c. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Is there a way to test if the problem is with the proccessor (if that might be the problem)? Thanks as always

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
For stress testing the CPU http://www.playtool....95/prime95.html let us know the results please.