Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Uninstalled Graphics Driver, now can't reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello. So I'm having troubles with my graphics driver. My computer was starting up, and would get to the XP loading screen, and then would just go completely black. I proceeded to go into safe mode and uninstall my graphics drivers. Now I can't update or reinstall them, so I have no sound or video.

I have an HP Compaq 2710p. My VEN is 8086 And my DEV is 2A02, and 2A03 for the other.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hello Call Any Vegetable

Couple of questions if I may;
Do you get a BIOS screen when you turn on the power.
Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer.
Do you have important data on the HDD that you have not backed up and would like to try and secure.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well, I don't get the blue BIOS screen. It starts up normally, unless prompted to do otherwise. I can get into safe mode, and into my BIOS. I believe I have an xp disk at home. But at the moment I am a few states away. And yes, I have lots of information that is not backed up at the moment. My external HD has been giving me issues as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
When you are able to try using Last Known Good Configuration feature http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Now I can't update or reinstall them, so I have no sound or video.

Can you clarify what you mean by no video as you have said that you can boot into safe mode.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
My camera doesn't work, and I can't watch any videos. My screen still works.. Just no moving pictures.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Well, I don't get the blue BIOS screen. It starts up normally, unless prompted to do otherwise. I can get into safe mode, and into my BIOS. I believe I have an xp disk at home. But at the moment I am a few states away. And yes, I have lots of information that is not backed up at the moment. My external HD has been giving me issues as well.

This confuses me. Are you in safe mode only, or can you get in to the regular windows mode?
If the windows mode, then what does the display look like?

As a FYI, safe mode loads default video drivers.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I can get into regular windows mode after I had uninstalled my graphics card. But without video or sound. I'm not sure if video or sound works when in safe mode.. I'm using a different computer at the moment.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
And I definitely already tried using the last good configuration a couple of times. Same outcome, the black screen.

Also, in safe mode, I can watch videos, but there is no sound.. and my webcam still does not work.

Edited by Call Any Vegetable, 27 December 2012 - 11:10 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Safe mode is just that. Minimal drivers are loaded.
So what you get in regular windows mode is the resolution is all messed up. You can't control it.

Lets see what drivers you are missing.
Go to start
Go to run
Type in devmgmt.msc
Click on OK

Look for any Red ! or yellow ?

Attach it to your reply.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Under Display Adapters is "Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family."

And under Other Devices is "Video Controller."

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Since you haven't told us (we didn't ask either) what OS you are running, you will have to choose at the link below.
You need to install the chipset driver 1st and that might take care of the other one. If not, then try the video driver.

HP 2710p drivers

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
That link doesn't work. And I'm running XP.

Call Any Vegetable

Call Any Vegetable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Alright, so I found the link, installed the driver, and now it's back to giving me the black screen after the XP loading screen..

I also still do not have sound.

Edited by Call Any Vegetable, 01 January 2013 - 04:29 PM.