Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win64.ZAccess [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

Let's try these steps in order. Check you updates after each one.

Step 1:

Please right-click on your connection icon at the bottom of your screen and open the "Network and Sharing Center." Next, click on your wireless network connection to open the window on the left below. Then click on "Properties" to open the window on the right. Do you have a box checked next to "Client for Microsoft Networks"? Please take a screenshot for me.

Posted Image

Step 2:

Open a command prompt by clicking on the start orb, typing "cmd," then right-clicking on the icon that comes up and selecting "Run as Administrator." At the prompt, type following two lines, pressing enter after each one.

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Now, reboot your computer.

Step 3: Run the System Update Readiness Tool.

Please download the tool here and run it. When done, please navigate to the log located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log and attach it to your next reply. Please zip it if necessary.

Advertisements

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No changes to the updates issue after each step.

Posted below are the relevant screenshots and files for each step.

Attached Thumbnails

• Connection Properties 1.jpg
  • Connection Properties 2.jpg
  • netsh int reset.jpg

Attached Files

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

While I'm preparing the next fix, could you please see if you can update Malwarebytes. If so, please run a quick scan.

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ran a quick scan.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Were you able to update MBAM?

Did it find any threats?

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I was able to update, but did not turn up any threats.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

I am preparing the next set of instructions. I'm trying something new, so it may take a little longer than normal.

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No worries Buddierdl.

I can't imagine this is easy. Everything on my computer seems to be running okay. I have no problem updating programs except for Windows Update and Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, FileHippo is not updating and I thought that might relate to the whole "programs are not updating" issue, but everything else including Malwarebytes and Spybot seemed to update with no issues. I might try to re-install FileHippo to see if that would fix anything. At least that may be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again for all your help and I appreciate your continued effort with this.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

Please download Wireshark and install it on your computer. Please be sure to allow the installer to install WinPcap as well when it asks you.

Now, run the program. Press the "Interface List" button as seen below.

Posted Image

This should open the top dialog box. Next, we need to find which connection is the active one. To do this, click the "Details" button next to each connection and check if the "Link Status" says Connected. You can see an example in the bottom screen.

Posted Image

When you find the active connection, please check the box next to it and press "Start." This will bring up the screen below:

Posted Image

Now please do the following in order (minimize Wireshark first):
  • Open IE and browse to a couple common sites like google and yahoo.
  • Open Microsoft Security Essentials and try to update
  • Try to run Windows Updates
  • Run MBAM update

Now please bring up Wireshark and press the "Stop" button, highlighted in red above. Then save the file by pressing the "Save" button, highlighted in blue. Please attach the file to your next post.

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I kept trying to upload the log, but an Error No file was selected for upload kept popping up when I tried to attach the text file. I also cannot copy and paste the text because it would make the message too long. Any ideas?

The log files are prepared both as .pcapng and .txt files if there is another way to get it to you.

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Do you have a dropbox account, or similar cloud storage?

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes.

I sent you a PM.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

I just wanted to confirm that you did try to update MSE and Windows while wireshark was running. The log shows the browsing and MBAM update, but nothing at all for the other two. It seems as if the requests aren't even reaching the network.

Please also confirm that you did try updating with the firewall temporarily turned off.

Could you please post the Windows Update log located at C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log.

PoorestFish

PoorestFish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I posted another log in the link that I had provided you in the private message.

I followed all the instructions the first time, but did not turn off the firewall so I ran Wireshark a second time.

Also attached is the WindowsUpdate.log.

Attached Files

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi PoorestFish,

We may be getting close!

Open OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections
  • Select the None button at the top of the window.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.