Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan starts for a split second, then stops spinning.

• Please log in to reply

Gerell

Gerell

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey there guys! I recently built my computer, it worked beautifully for about 4 months, until i noticed (thank goodness) that my CPU fan was not spinning. I now have a CPU temp app on my computer, and am constantly checking it to make sure that it doesn't overheat. I once got it spinning by manually spinning the fan after it stopped, but it wouldn't spin full speed and that 'trick' doesn't work anymore.

Please help! Do I really have to buy a new fan?

Running i5 ivy bridge processor
Integrated graphics
8 GB RAM
SSD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: Gerell

Can you provide the brand and model name or number of the MB please, can I also ask if you have physically watched the fan not working for a prolonged period of time.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wow! Great response time! Thanks in advance for all the help your giving me, much appreciated.

To be honest, It could have started a long time ago, i don't know. I noticed because my PSU recently blew, twice. (i think its because i installed it upside down, no airflow) So i'm running my rig on a 400W PSU till my 750W one gets back in. I checked inside the case because i heard a funny noise on one of the fans, (not the CPU one) and then i noticed that my CPU fan wasn't spinning.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

Speed!.jpg

Edited by Gerell, 27 December 2012 - 10:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can you run HWMonitor for us and again provide a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan readings which are rather vague http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Can you also go into the BIOS and check the temps and voltage readings there and let us know what is showing.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here it is

I'll upload the bios settings ina little bit

Attached Thumbnails

• hehe.jpg

Edited by Gerell, 27 December 2012 - 12:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Not sure what is going on with your fans rpm readings but if they were idle your system would have long fried.

Check your BIOS for us while I look at the online user manual for the MB.

I note that all of the fan headers on the MB are the 4 pin type, are your CPU and system fans also the 4 pin type.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry about the delayed response. Here's that BIOS info you wanted.

Edit: My CPU/System fans are indeed 4 pin type, however all my system(case) fans came with adapters to plug directly into the PSU. So that's where i plugged them. Maybe that's the reason they aren't showing any information to the App

M.I.T\PC Health Status

Case Open YES
CPU Vcore 1.164 V
Dram Voltage 1.524 V
+3.3V 3.304 V
+12V 12.024 V
CPU Temperature 54.0*C
System Temperature 19.0*C
CPU Fan Speed 0 RPM
1st System Fan Speed 0 RPM
2nd System Fan Speed 0 RPM

BIOS Version F12
BCLK 99.79MHz
CPU Frequency 3792.32MHz
Memory Frequency 1330.66MHz
Total Memory Size 8192MB

CPU Temperature 60.0*C

Vcore 1.164V
Dram Voltage 1.524V

Edited by Gerell, 27 December 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Apologies for the double post! My phone won't let me edit my previous one.

In my rushing, it seems I may have said the wrong information. My system fans are three pins, not four. They connect to this odd adapter that has a female end similar to a regular hard drive (the non L Shaped one )

I also took a look at where my CPU fan was plugged in. It was plugged into a sys fan four pin slot instead of the CPU slot. However I retried with it plugged into the CPU slot and this time it didn't even start to spin. So I tried one last slot, a second sys fan, and it seemed to work. I have yet to try it for a prolonged period because I don't know if that would make a difference.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Your system fans should be connected to the headers on the MB so that you can keep a check on them, connecting additional cooling fans to the PSU is fine though.

Using a 3 pin fan connection on a 4 pin header is fine it just means that the fan will be continuously running, the CPU fan though should always be on the correct MB header so that it can be monitored in the BIOS.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have 3 system fans, a front, back, and top one. But only two slots left for system fans. Which two would you recommend to plug in?

Again, thanks a ton for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Front and rear.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so I went ahead and re-plugged all of my system fans and my CPU fan. However, if i plug my CPU fan into the CPU-fan slot. It doesn't work, i tried plugging the back system fan into there, and it doesn't work either. So currently i have my CPU fan plugged into my sys fan2 slot, and my front fan into my regular sys fan. the back one into the cpu fan slot, not working. any idea why my CPU fan slot might not be working? :(

Here's speedfans screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
While it is not ideal at least you now have a means of checking two fan speeds but I would suggest you connect the rear fan to the MB as opposed to the front fan as the rear fan is designed to expel the hot air that is generated inside the case, if we are unable to resolve the CPU fan header issue you could connect the front fan up to the PSU.

There are only two reasons why the CPU fan header is not working 1: It is bad and only a repair by a tech which would probably cost more than the MB would fix it. 2: It has been disabled in the BIOS (explanation below) please check if it is enabled or disabled.

Disabling a CPU fan in the BIOS is not possible with many MBs so as to prevent users inadvertently frying their CPUs however some MBs that are designed to be overclocked may allow the CPU fan to be disabled for people using water cooling as the CPU fan and header are not used and so needs to be disabled.

Gerell

Gerell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Heh, thank goodness i have a warranty. Thanks a ton for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are most welcome and if we can be of any further assistance please let us know :thumbsup: