Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Crashes seemingly at random

• Please log in to reply

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, did chkdsc. Didn't look at it while it went though. From your statement about OS errors I assume I may have to reinstall Windows 7 if the crashes keep up? I shall report back if my pc crashes again so we can take it from there.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may need a repair installation to correct the issues. This will save your data so you won't have to worry about losing anything.

OK the issue seems to be the Win 7 OS itself that is causing your problem so lets do a Repair Installation by following the steps HERE.
Please read and follow all instructions carefully.

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
2 more crashes today. I will now do the reinstall/update install and report back with the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you post a new crash report following the instructions below.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

" Go to
" Start
" In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
" From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two
" Go to Start
" Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
" Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
" On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
" Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
" If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
" Please include that in your next reply.

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Reinstalled Windows 7 today. PC just crashed again, same deal as before. WhoCrashed says there is no crash dump to read out it seems. Here's the log:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: MIKU
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8572542976 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1981321216

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Sooooo....this is starting to get really annoying :/

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
This is what I can find in Event Viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 13.01.2013 00:24:57
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Miku
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 00:23:05 on ‎13.‎01.‎2013 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-12T23:24:57.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>2459</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Miku</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>00:23:05</Data>
<Data>‎13.‎01.‎2013</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>20589</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DD07010000000D00000017000500D302DD07010006000C00170017000500D3023C0000003C000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 13.01.2013 00:24:53
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Miku
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-12T23:24:53.523208800Z" />
<EventRecordID>2463</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Miku</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We need to see the voltages for the PSU as I think that is the issue.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm going to assume (again, you should work on that) that you want me to post the logfile? See attachement.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as I thought.

Voltage 4 1.34 Volts [0x1C] (+12V)

Your +12 volt rail is bad. That answers why you are crashing because it loses power trying to keep everything going.

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Oh okay, and what would that mean? Like how to fix it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to replace the power supply.
If you post the specs of your PSU I will try to find a suitable replacement for you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I forgot to mention that the constant crashing is most likely what is causing the system files to become corrupt and the entries in the event viewer are showing that.

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I currently have a CoolerMaster 600W PSU. Does that help?

My friend seems to agree on the voltage being a bit low pointing to a faulty PSU.

I'll do a benchmark tomorrow and replace the PSU with another one to see if that does indeed fix the crashes. If it does I'll order a new one. I'll report back. Since I haven't said it yet : Thanks a lot for taking a look at my problem :D Hope this is the end of it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NewEgg $64.99 and free shipping. :thumbsup:

TigerDirect $57.99 but you have to add shipping. ;)

Raikao

Raikao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Um thanks, but I'm going to assume "free shipping" doesn't include Germany :P I'll manage though.