Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

constant crashes

• Please log in to reply

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
lol,,ok..

Attached Thumbnails

• JPEG.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK your startups look good.

SFC /Scannow Fix Windows

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it says windows cant fine sfc/scannow make sure i typed it in right

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you typing it this way:

sfc /scannow

or this way

sfc/scannow

It has to be this way to work: sfc /scannow

Notice the space between the SFC and the /

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok dang your smart,,,lol.. when it askes me to put the disk in I do and then hit retry, it brings up the what do you want to do window,, what do i want to do??,, and btw thank you soo much..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do me a favor please. Do the steps again and get a screenshot of each step you are describing.
You might just put the disk in before you start the scan and see if it will just continue without you asking for any input.

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK I did the part where you said to have the disk in before doing the run and it seems to have gone through, and I have been on for a while and had the game on and been on and off mostly for a bit now,, it would have normally crashed by now by past record, so I am gonne put it through the works and tax it best I can and get back to you,, again thank you for all the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and if it worked then it would seem a system file was the cause of the issue.
:thumbsup:

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
naw wishful thinking i guess crashed my game then after 5 minutes I triple crashed back to back trying to get back on my game,, a foot note to that is,, I play world of warcraft and it is at its worst when i do things like try and load into a battle ground or when I an in a battle ground or a instance it is at its worst,, i figure that is when the pc is at it most taxed,,

yea it's as bad if not worst than was,, only thing is now I keep getting a black screen not the bad one but just blank black and then crash after a bit

Edited by Devildogduck, 28 December 2012 - 08:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Has WOW worked correctly before this?

Advertisements

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
no wow is new to this computer,, as for repair on it,, wow has the repair built into the launch now. ,,, wow, the additional 2x 1gb ram and the nvidia Gforce 8600gt are all new to this machine..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I have two different steps I would like you to do. Please do them in order and don't go on to the second one till I have responded from the results of the first.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
cant seem to get internet explorer up,, will it work on google chrome??

speaking of ram,, I have been planning on buying new ram just dont have the money to spare for it atm,, is it better for 4gb max to use 4x1gb or 2x2gb or 1x4gb

scratch that question,, just bought,, Dell PowerEdge SC1420 SC1425 4GB Kit 2x 2GB DDR2 PC2 3200 ECC REG Dimm Memory
on ebay for $16.00 free shipping, used but guaranteed tested, the company or ebay name was,, justpcmemory,,(5,534) 99.8%,, but coming from cali. I live in Indiana.
but still need to stay on the tests till then so how do I get into internet explorer or will it work on google chrome??

Edited by Devildogduck, 29 December 2012 - 01:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The capacity of the ram modules depends on what your motherboard memory slots can take.