Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

constant crashes

• Please log in to reply

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well shoot, according to the dell manual it only supports 256mb, 512mb and 1gb per slot,, wrote the company I bought it from to see if they would cancel and if they have 4x1gb I could purchase..the machine maxes out at 4gb I did know that much before hand.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anytime you need to check the memory configuration on any system you can do so below as ong as the system is bootable and has internet access.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok went ahead and bought 4x1gb of ram..$27.50,free shipping,, hope they cancel the other order if not I have 2x2gb for sale on ebay,,lol..
well didnt acually purchase the 4x1gb was waiting to hear back from you,, and I wrote back to the first order and canceled the cancel,, according to curser 2x2gb is what they recomended for that machine even though the manual on the dell site says 1x4gb,, thanks for the help..

Edited by Devildogduck, 29 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK I stayed with the purchase of 4x1gb and I think that just to know its out of the way and let you help someone else till I get my new ram.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and have you tried the steps in post 28 yet to check your current memory?

Devildogduck

Devildogduck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No I didn't try that what I did was play ram shuffle and found a 1gb stick o be bad,, no crashes since then and new ram on the way,, thank you so much all good now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great and please update when you get the new memory installed and running.