Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

emulate usb thumbdrive with laptop

• Please log in to reply

drs933933

drs933933

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm looking for software that would present a folder on one computer to another computer as if it were a USB thumb drive. In my job I carry around alot of bootable USB thumb drives. What I'd like to be able to do is have a piece of software on my laptop that would allow me to:
1) choose any folder on my Windows laptop
2) connect my laptop to the other computer with a USB male A to male A cable
3) the second computer sees the selected folder on the Windows laptop as if it were a USB flash drive

Any suggestions welcome, if this can't be done strictly in software and there's hardware device that will accomplish the same thing. The main requirement is that the second computer should not need any software/driver installed and should see what is presented as a USB flash drive.

Thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
By the time you have messed about, and please don't think I'm being derogatory, setting two computers up in the manner you describe you'd be better of with a pocket hard drive as shown rather than carry a shed load of USB sticks around with you.

Toshiba External 500GB 2.5" HDD