Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista - Recovery Partition Acer (problem with recovery and install wiz

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi, this is a continuation from another topic but the subject has now changed completely so have started this topic:

I have decided in the end to use the recovery partition.

It's an Acer Aspire so I Rebooted and used Alt+F10 at the first screen (recover partition is enabled in BIOS by the way) but it wouldn't load the recovery tool.

I then found out that you can use the recovery partition by going to windows>All Programs>Acer>Empowering technology>Acer ereovery tool

BUT... the erecovery tool is not there.

I have confirmed that the recovery partition exists on the laptop by looking at disk management (there is a 10gb partition put there by ACER).

So. I downloaded the erecovery tool directly from ACER (the correct one for the model number) and tried to install...

The install hangs at the part where it says "Acer erecovery management setup is preparing install shield wizard"

It just stops there and doesn't install, the only way I can get out is Task Manager...

HELP!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try these steps:

Acer:
Hard Disk Recovery
should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your systems BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I will try it now. Thanks. But still, why do I not see the erecovery tool in my program list?

Also, why can I not install it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Remember the recovery partition and program associated with it are hidden. That is what I suspect is why you can't see it.

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Just to close this here is what happened in the end...

I tried using Alt+F10 at boot, and instead of the erecovery tool/hidden partition loading I got a black error screen (can't remember what it said) so I rebooted and...

I tried to install the erecovery tool in Safe Mode but had the same problem as before.

Then I rebooted again and did Alt+F10, and this time the erecovery tool loaded. (no password or 000000 was required) It just booted straight into it and the full recovery went smoothly so I ended up with a fresh install of Vista SP1. And from there I ran all the proper updates and now have a fully functioning version of Vista SP2.

(Just for future information, you can see the erecovery tool from windows it is not hidden - I checked after the fresh install went as planned and it is there where it should be Start>All Programs>Acer>Empowering technology>Acer ereovery tool (and that is where I should have been able to access it in the first instance but it wasn't there.)

Thanks for the replies guys! Have a good New Year!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations jayjay23. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Just to close this here is what happened in the end...

I tried using Alt+F10 at boot, and instead of the erecovery tool/hidden partition loading I got a black error screen (can't remember what it said) so I rebooted and...

I tried to install the erecovery tool in Safe Mode but had the same problem as before.

Then I rebooted again and did Alt+F10, and this time the erecovery tool loaded. (no password or 000000 was required) It just booted straight into it and the full recovery went smoothly so I ended up with a fresh install of Vista SP1. And from there I ran all the proper updates and now have a fully functioning version of Vista SP2.

(Just for future information, you can see the erecovery tool from windows it is not hidden - I checked after the fresh install went as planned and it is there where it should be Start>All Programs>Acer>Empowering technology>Acer ereovery tool (and that is where I should have been able to access it in the first instance but it wasn't there.)

Thanks for the replies guys! Have a good New Year!

Hi,

And now that you have a working System its a good time to create the Recovery Disks and/or a full backup to an external Hard Disk or DVD's.
How to use Vista's Complete PC Backup and Restore utility