Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to make cd-r/cd-rw write faster?

• Please log in to reply

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi,
i have a samsung 48x cd writer. but it takes me about 5 minutes to write a cd-r whereas it takes a mere 2.15 minutes on my friends LG 48x cd writer. ;) does anyone know why there is such a huge variation in the writing time? also it takes a longer time to copy a cd with the samsung cd drive in comparison to the LG drive of the same speed. :tazz:

Advertisements

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Maybe your cd's are not compatible with your cd rw or they are not 48x cd's. Try some different cd's.

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i burn 52x compatible cd-rs ( moser bayer )on my 48x drive..is that an issue?..its not, right? should it not still write it faster?

Gandir

Gandir

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

Problems mmight be that the firmware in your drive, eventhough it states it is the speed of 48, infact is a slower speed.

Got to your vendor website and see if there a firmware upgrade available for your drive and install if there are.

Gandir

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i will do that..but i am just curious...what is firmware? this is the first thing i am hearing of it...do u mean the driver for my cd writer?

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
firmware is the way the cd drive intorduces itself to the computer.
software is how the cd drive is operated by the computer.

Also, if you are using 52x cd and they do not say that they will work with 48x 32x 16x 8x 4x 2x and 1x then they will only work correctly with a 52 x drive. Again it must say on the media that it is backwards compatible.

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thank u so much..i loaded the latest firmware for my drive..it has certainly improved the reading speed although i am not too sure about any improvement in the writing speed :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your computer identical in performance to your friend's. If he has more memory on his machine or a faster one or has stronger CPU or is runnuing less processes etc, all tese could affect peripherials performance. If possible, link your cd to his computer and then compare the two.

comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes..i checked all that before posting..both of us have intel p4 2.4ghz, 256 mb ram, although different brands..and i checked my system with the minimum running processes in xp..i think the fault lies with the samsung cd writer itself..its product name is 248f..another frd also told me that his samsung 48x writer tends to be slower..