Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

''MyWebSearch' invaded my laptop. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Have just noticed that I've got NTREGOPT on my desktop. Have read up about it and I presume it arrived with ERUNT.
Does it have your approval to use in the future ?

R

also I need to generate a PM and I cant find any instructions on how to go about it.
Could you please give me instructions.

TIA

R

Edited by RonS2, 02 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi Ron,

I'm sorry for some delay here, last week little work, this week can't keep up!

Have just noticed that I've got NTREGOPT on my desktop. Have read up about it and I presume it arrived with ERUNT.
Does it have your approval to use in the future?

"Note" that the program NTREGOPT does NOT change the contents of the registry in any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive. The optimization done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the minimum size possible.
Ron you can right click on that NTREGOPT shortcut and choose delete to remove it from the desktop.

My new year resolution will be to avoid registry tweakers like the plague,. But better keep some anti-plague vaccine handy - I don't often manage to keep my resolutions . (lol)

The problem that registry cleaners can create, is when they are too aggressive in cleaning out your registry. And since there is so much competition in this category of software utility, the software makers promise better results by being more aggressive. They improperly delete keys and values, so that when a software program goes looking for the information, it is no longer there.

And other Windows experts agree: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

also I need to generate a PM and I cant find any instructions on how to go about it.
Could you please give me instructions.

To send a PM to a forum member, at the top of the forum page click Messenger when that windows opens, to the right find where it says compose New Click that, add the Recipient's Name and provide a message subject in the message Sublect box.

Getting back to your Machine

Ron, because you're running Online Armor Firewall, I want to turn off Windows Firewall using a batch file below, running more then 1 Firewall can create problems, so lets run the batch file below, take your time,

Copy and paste the text in the code box below into "Notepad."
@echo off
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off
del %0
Save that "text" as Firewall.bat to your desktop.
Click the dropdown menu under "Save as type" and select "All" files" instead of Text (.txt). as shown below.
Posted Image

Now
Right-click on the Firewall.bat Posted Image and select "Run as Administrator". Your computer will reboot to complete the task.

Let me know when you have done that, and then I'll answer the rest of your questions below. I want to consult with my instructor first, Thank you for being patient with me.

When I read my mail now I STILL get a blank tab and a blank screen when I opt to click on any item within the email.

I dont think that I know what program is used as my browser fro mail now and I don't seem to come across explorer as i used to. I've always tried to avoid using CHROME but I see that I've still got traces left somewhere. I'd probably be reasonably happy if Google finished up as my browser. Would appreciate advice as to whether BING is a good thing or not. It seems to push its way in whether u like it or not.

Thanks again.

Ron

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Friday 11.27am
OK
Notepad done

Comes up with message that second line cannot be done.

Retried and came up with message that 1st line could not be done.

I presume this means that first line worked 1st time around and therefore second attempt did not find a first line to zap.

BUT am a bit surprised because I did not think that windows firewall was ON anyway. (You will be able to tell from looking at OTL print but I'm not able to decipher that and relying on memory which makes me think that I switched it off when I installed Onlin Armor.)

Saturday 11:35am
Clicking on Internet Explorer after clicking on start gets me to MSN !

Edited by RonS2, 05 January 2013 - 05:37 AM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
11:45pm

Off to bed

R

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi Ron,

To answer one of your questions first:

There's nothing wrong with Bing, it becomes Personal preference in what search engine you want to use, and set that search engine as your default.

Ron Lets back up a bit, I'd like to make sure Internet explorer is set as your default browser, that is the browser you prefer correct? This may help with that blank E/Mail issue you're experiencing. These instructions are for Internet explorer 9. I have also included how to set default search engine too for your convenience.

If you have more than one web browser, your computer needs to know which browser to use by default. So lets set it just in case.

To make Internet Explorer your default browser
  • Open Internet Explorer.
  • Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
  • Click the Programs tab, and then click Make default.
  • Click OK, and then close Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer 9 setting your default search engine, this shows Google as the default you can select what you want.

• Click the Tools icon at the far right of the browser window.
  • Select Internet options.
  • In the General tab, find the Search section and click Settings.
  • Select Google, or your own choice.
  • Click Set as default and click Close.

Next

Ron you mentioned you had left overs from Chrome Browser, I'd like you to follow the instructions below to see if Revo will remove those left overs.

Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free
  • Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
  • From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • when the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
  • Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
  • when prompted click on Yes and then on next.
  • put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
  • when prompted select yes then on next
  • Once done click Finish.

Next
Lets run a malwarebytes scan so we can double check for any Malware issues too.

Please run your currently installed Malwarebytes program and
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan. The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart. Restart if it tells you to.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

In your next reply:

• Post the Malwarebytes log.
  • Let me know how things went and are running.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
HI Joe
Thank you for todays response.

Sorry I'm a bit late replying, but my wife has an operation in hospital early tomorrow and its been a bit difficult to justify time on the comoputer.

Also I've discovered a couple of things which perhaps are better pointers to my problems on the laptop.

(1) BING I'm so not with it that I had not realised that Bing was a search engine. However it seems to have installed itself into both my laptop & my wife's laptop. For instance - you mentioned CHROME and I thought where was that in our chat? - SO - went back a few pages and searched for 'chrome' in our chat pages. only to be told that Bing was the accelerator and was not available at the moment could I please try another accelerator.
That raises all sorts of questions in my non-geek head, like what is an accelerator why is bing not available ?,is it disabled or something and if so where do I enable it .

(2) You asked me to make Internet Explorer my default. I'd be glad to but I haven't got one on my computer. If I click on start and then click on either the internet explorer option or the internet explorer(64) option I get MSN.COM

(3) The explorer I used to have was explorer 7 - I'd decided to stay with it rather than opt for 8 or 9 I think.

(4) Now with all this fracas about finding IE I'd happily settle for having Google as both my browser and my search option if that was possible.

(5) I haven't done anything about REVO yet, thought that I'd better plug ahead looking for IE etc. Will be happy to do that later unless you think it's important in the hunt for IE

(6) My Malwarebytes program was out of date with its data base so I've reinstalled it and run it after updating everything.
The results showed only three entries as PUP ADs. They were AFT.exe which I must have copied across when I was transferring everfything from deskgtop to laptop . It doesn't work on windows7 anyway does it. And two copies of Foldersize.exe again classified as a PUP ADs. This I find is a VERY useful program when you are copying folders to a dvd for transfer or safety reasons and can gauge how full the dvd is.
Anyway I zapped them all as suggested.
I haven't posted the log because I've had copy/paste prioblems again and didn't think the log was that significant.

(7) When I attempt to look at DEFAULT options so as to adjust my choice of browsers etc I cannot find a way to alter the status quo and in the option for selecting accelerators there is only one shown and that is BING.

All of which goes to show that I'm not very with it - apologies ! If you can give me simple instructions to enable us to correct the browser and search options we may yet win the day.

Did your OTF log find an internet explorer?

It's unlikely that I will be available for much computer stuff tomorrow. Will understand if you want to opt out of this task. I'm pleased that we have been able to get rid of a lot of progranms that I did not want.

Thank You for your help.

Ron

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi RonS2,

Sorry for my delay have flue.

Hi,
Ron
Most importantly Ron, I hope your wife is doing OK.

I have answered most of your questions, and have provided "links" where I can. That may be more beneficial to you rather then me explaining every detail in the forum. I suggest you read these links and familiarize yourself with Internet Explorer 9 for now. You should find the links very informative an useful, I know I have and still refer to them from time to time.

1) BING I'm so not with it that I had not realised that Bing was a search engine. However it seems to have installed itself into both my laptop & my wife's laptop. For instance - you mentioned CHROME and I thought where was that in our chat? - SO - went back a few pages and searched for 'chrome' in our chat pages. only to be told that Bing was the accelerator and was not available at the moment could I please try another accelerator.
That raises all sorts of questions in my non-geek head, like what is an accelerator why is bing not available ?,is it disabled or something and if so where do I enable it .

Bing (formerly Live Search, Windows Live Search, and MSN Search) is a web search engine

A web search engine is designed to search for information on the World Wide Web. The search results are generally presented in a line of results often referred to as search engine results pages.

2) You asked me to make Internet Explorer my default. I'd be glad to but I haven't got one on my computer. If I click on start and then click on either the internet explorer option or the internet explorer(64) option I get MSN.COM

MSN.com is your default Internet Explorer start page or home page.
When the user first opens a web browser, it automatically brings you to this page, which is also sometimes called the start page, yours just happens to be msn.com as shown below.
http://www.msn.com/

How to change your Start page or home page,
http://windows.micro...e-page#ie=ie-10

(3) The explorer I used to have was explorer 7 - I'd decided to stay with it rather than opt for 8 or 9 I think.

Ron,
The internet explorer "your" using is version 9,
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.0.8112.16421)

That information above comes from your OTL Log report.

Getting started with Internet Explorer 9
I strongly suggest you spend some time at the link below, lots of really good information for you.
http://windows.micro...rnet-Explorer-9

(5) I haven't done anything about REVO yet, thought that I'd better plug ahead looking for IE etc. Will be happy to do that later unless you think it's important in the hunt for IE

Yes. Lets put revo away for now, lets focus on using IE 9 for now.

(7) When I attempt to look at DEFAULT options so as to adjust my choice of browsers etc I cannot find a way to alter the status quo and in the option for selecting accelerators there is only one shown and that is BING.

Bing is a Search engine, as explained above, not an accelerator.

Change and manage search providers
Another good link below, that I hope explains this topic for you.
http://windows.micro...earch-providers

Did your OTF log find an internet explorer?

Yes. OTL Found Internet Explorer 9, See it in bold below, that's the very beginning of your OTL Log report that you posted to me on 29/12/2012.

OTL logfile created on: 29/12/2012 14:41:03 - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\RonS179\Downloads
64bit- Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.0.8112.16421)
Locale: 00000809 | Country: United Kingdom | Language: ENG | Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy

And More Internet Explorer, From the OTL Log report.

IE:64bit: - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://acer.msn.com

It even tells us your default start page is msn.com as shown above, that's why when you open Internet Explorer 9, you end up at msn.com. It's the same start page I use.

Take your time, read my links thoroughly, become familiar with Internet Explorer 9 browser, once you fully understand this browser other browsers will become less so complicated in basic start page, search engines etc.

Thanks,

Hope your Wife recovers well!

Joe :)

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe
Thank you for your concern about my wife - she's OK now and recovering. Hope thaT your flu is easing off.

I am realising that I have not been able to explain to you the exact nature of my situation with regard to my Explorer and MSN problems.

Allow me to try again -

(1) When you give me addresses in nice blue letters so that I can click on them and read their contents, I click on them BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO SEE THEIR CONTENTS on my laptop.
ALL I get is a blank screen with a new tab on the tool bar , but the tab is also blank.
In order to read the articles - I go to my wife's laptop and log in to GEEKS and read our conversations there. I see that they are ,for instance, telling me how to call up Explorer 9. BUT I CANNOT CALL UP EXPLORER 9 on my laptop - because I cannot find it anywhere on my C:\ drive.

Any clicking on an explorer address brings up MSN.

(2) MSN I don';t know how MSN got to be selected on my laptop - I've only just noticed it on there since we started chatting, and although I may be very long in the tooth I shall be totally flabbergasted to find out that its been there all the time staring at me. Perhaps it came with the laptoop when I bought it, but it certainly wasn't popping up in all its glitzy newsy glory when I previously used a browser.
Generally speaking its the last sort of thing that I would choose to have as my home page. I'm the sort of bloke who gets his news and scandal from a news only site or TV.

(3) Surely other users of MSN (YOU for instance) don't get blank screens and tabs when MSN is their home page. SO - how do you collect your mail starting from MSN? I click on my BT/YAHOO icon on my desktop and can read mny mail OK even now, but cannot click on any references in the mail without getting the old blank screen.

Plainly I'm not explaining the situation correctly to you - I'm sorry. Everything seemed to ba OK until about the 6th December and I had no similar problems at all. McAfees 3 mionths expired around 24th November so I've been running the new laptop since about 24th August with no problems.

The fact thaT my RESTORE positions were wiped out must surely be significant of an attempted malware attack ? ? ?

Any chance that we could agree a time of day when we were both available for conversation so that we don't get these huge gaps and can answer questions more or less directly ?

Ron

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi RonS2

My available times are from---- United states Eastern Standard time 4pm till around midnight.

I'm currently reviewing your concerns, please be patient with me.

Joe

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

If you come available at 4pm EST - that would be 9pm GMT in the UK. That means we';ve just got a window of 3 hours before its midnight in UK. But if you delay posting until after 7pm EST I will not be seeing that until around 10 am GMT which = 5am EST.
Cheers !
Ron

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

ALL I get is a blank screen with a new tab on the tool bar , but the tab is also blank.

Sorry RonS2, bear with me! Work is just busier then usual did not get home till late and not a 100% recovered from Flue yet. Stick with with me please and we will work this together until it's resolved.

I want to try and reset Internet Explorer to see if that fixes the blank screen with new tab on tool bar. Please see the extra information I have provided in the quote box about resetting Internet Explorer.

. When you reset Internet Explorer settings, all add-ins and customizations are deleted. You basically start with a fresh version of Internet Explorer. This article helps you reset Internet Explorer.

Lets try it Ron,

I am providing a link for you Here I know you're having trouble with links so do the best you can to get to it and follow it's directions, actually very simple ones, the directions start on the web page that I linked you to above just like the ones below,

Reset Internet Explorer for me
To reset Internet Explorer automatically, follow these steps:

Note Note: This Microsoft Fix it is supported by Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Click this button: The button on the webpage will look similar to this button below only difference is fix it number so don't worry about that,

Posted Image

So visit the web page and follow the directions on that web page as I have pretty much outlined above for you, you'll see those same directions on the web page.

Let me know if the fixes the blank screen and tab issue.

Joe

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

As you already know - when u give me a blue phrase to clip on I get a blank screen and new tab, as a result I have to search around for the content of the blue phrase. Once I discovered it was kb923737 all was OK and I managed to reset the explorer.

Testing afterwards by clicking on 'here' I found that I still got a blank screen and a blank tab in the toolbar. HOWEVER gthere was an extra tab just before the blank tab which contained a reference to the reset. I really dont recollect ever seeing that before, but it could well be that my aged eyes were not up to the job and ther e has always been an extra tab.

When I clicked the (x) in the blank tab it vanished and the screen then diwsplayed the opening screen of the reset.

To test whether it was the same for all the little blue ophrases I went back to where you asked me to download ERUNT and clicked on that blue phrase. Result was a blank screen and a single blank tab. So no change there.

conclusion therefore is that the reset has not cured the problem although it may have altered the response in the particular act of calling up the reset.

Apologies for late answer. It's my birthday today and my daughters have been ringing up for a chat all evening and I've spent about 4 hours on the phone.

In the last 48 hours the laptop has developed a strange pattern. When I close down and exit up comes a message not to switch off because it is updating 1 of 1 update. This has happened every time I've logged off and it takes about 5 minutes to clear the screen and sign off. ? AZ|ny ideas ? We did have a genuine update of 15 updates about three days ago and initially I thought that it was a follow up to that.

Ron

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

Apologies for late answer.

No problem, I have felt bad too for my late replies due to life things.

Happy Birthday and enjoy!

Can you try one thing for me please, on any of my links that you have trouble with, instead of clicking on the link, try this

Right click on the link, then choose open in new window. See what that does for you and let me know.

Edited by zep516, 11 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

Rt-clicking on links - Has no effect page 1 or page 2 no matter whether the open in new window is then left-clicked or right-clicked. Does not produce any blank page or tab.

Light snow here today.

Ron

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi RonS2,

Lets try uninstalling Internet Explorer 9

1. Click the Start type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4.Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

5. Once Internet Explorer has been removed, please check the version number it has changed to to do that, click on Help in the upper part of the browser, then click on About Internet Explorer that will provide the version number for us.

Ron let me know how that goes, I'm off to work and will return at 3PM.

Thank you!