Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

''MyWebSearch' invaded my laptop. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

Clicking on Start I do not get directly to Prorams and features. Have to click control panel.

Selecting programs and features in control panel gets me to the list of programs.

WHICH DOES NOT CONTAIN a Windows Explorer !!

I did say I couldn't find my explorer.7

I'll post this now and then go and look in page 1 to see where OTL.txt found the windows explorer and will edit this posting when i find it.

Ron
PS Can't find a reference that gives an address for it, but there is a mention about 2 or 3 pages from the bottom of our page #4 where an error is reported at

09/12/2012 08:10:49

and iexplorer is named. That date is very near to the date that I suggested as the start of all the trouble.

its 10:10pm here now. I'll be available until midnight.

Ron

Edited by RonS2, 13 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi RonS2

Read these instructions carefully.

Internet Explorer 9 as shown installed from your OTL Log, is installed as an up-Date, so that is where we want to look for it, if you look just a little closer to my last instructions that is where I wanted you to look for Internet explorer 9 in the Windows update section, lets try a different way see below.

Let me give you another set of instructions to get there so we can find Internet Explorer 9.

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Button Now Ron look for the search box below, in that search box I want you to type Update then in the list of results that will pop up click Windows Update

2. In the left pane, click View update history. Ron this is where Internet Explorer 9 should be listed, because it gets installed as an up-date with-out warning sometimes. Once you find Internet Explorer 9, follow steps 3 and 4 below..

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

5. Once Internet Explorer has been removed, please check the version number it has changed to to do that, click on Help in the upper part of the browser, then click on About Internet Explorer that will provide the version number for us.

Joe :)

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

After much searching - it was in the control panel section.

I discovered a Windows explorer 9
Next to laast in the list bur dated 14/10/2011.

Could it have been installed originally when I bought the laptop in 2012 ?

Do you still want me to uninstall it ???

Ron
12.33am 14/01/2013

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Could it have been installed originally when I bought the laptop in 2012 ?

Yes.

Do you still want me to uninstall it ???

Yes uninstall it so we can see if your links work

Do not forget this part

5. Once Internet Explorer has been removed, please check the version number it has changed to to do that, click on Help in the upper part of the browser, then click on About Internet Explorer that will provide the version number for us.

Joe

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

IE9 uninstalled OK

Restarted

Start / INTERNET EXPLORER (which brought up MSN)

MSN has a small ie9 icon - clicked on that

Found the ? symbol top right

clicked on that and got a small table on which ABOUT was grayed out !!

BUT the only line solidly printed said

"ADVANTAGES of WINDOWS EXPLORER 8" or words to that effect.

Forgot to test links SO I'm going back to test it and will edit this later.

Ron 08:50pm

Went looking at my mail which you will remember is in BT/Yahoo.
Clicking on several links in several messages. SCREEN WHICH COMES UP IS A WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER
NONE OF THE LINKS WORKED each one produced a tab which said 'connecting'.
Tried 'Open in new window' but that did not produce any tab,and as far as I could see diud not generate a screen BEHIND the other one.

It was not possible to find a 'help' or 'about' to identify the explorer.

Would another OTL tell us anything now ?

Ron 09:10pm

Edited by RonS2, 14 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

I think that we are running out of ideas and it may be a good idea now to retreat and for me to set up the laptop as if from scratch. I don't have all that much stuff on there anyway

I've been pleased that you have shown such an interest in the problem and I have learned quite a lot of things that may be if use in the future.

I was delighted to have such an instant response when I first posed the problem on the site, but was surprised that an expert was chosen who lived in a different time zone. The difference in times has proven to be a very annoying factor and our conversations have been limited because of it. Last night was perhaps the last straw when we were both present at 9.30pm but no entry was made in response to my entry of 8.51pm.

Thank you for your contribution, I hope that you soon get a promotion.

sincerely

Ron

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi RonS2,

It may well be a good idea to set your Laptop back from scratch, or Restore to factory settings would be the correct verbiage to use.

The teacher was chosen for good reason, especially for me, I'm not graduated yet and my posts "All" must be overseen for your protection in mind. The time factor can be difficult to overcome, and so is the personal available on the forum at any given time, with those constraints in mind we all try to do the best we can to resolve your or anyone else's issue. These problems / issues can be difficult on site to fix. Doing it through basically an E-Mail type forum arrangement can slow the process down even more.

You're welcome for my contribution, please keep in mind that some of those contributions came from the Teacher assigned to your issue and with your protection in mind.

Would you like any online safety advice before we close the thread.

sincerely;

Joe

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Joe

Thanks for your response.

You will be interested to know two things that have occurred in the last two days.

(1) I removed MSN by replacing it with blank and the explorer that then appeared had an 'about' which told me it was explorer 9 !!

(2) Looking on other forums yesterday I discovered links to suggestions that IE9 combined with Windows7 generated the lack of response from links similar to those that I'm getting.

Not found a solution on those forums either.

Thanks again.

OK to Close

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.