Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD When I Add Ram to My Laptop - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

koolx

koolx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got XP SP3. i get the BSOD (blue screen of death) 20 - 40 mins after boot up. this happens when i insert 1GB of ram. its already got 512MB ram. i used 2 new ram sticks, so its not the ram thats damaged. the error stops after i remove the 1GB ram. how do i fix this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hello koolx

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Can you let us know the answers to the following please;

Is the new Ram the exact same specifications as the original 512mb.
Is the 512mb a single stick or 2 X 256mb sticks.
Have you tried removing the original 512mb of Ram and using only the 2 new sticks and if so what happened.

Sorry got the laptop bit BTW so just need the brand and model.

koolx

koolx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello koolx

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Can you let us know the answers to the following please;

Is the new Ram the exact same specifications as the original 512mb.
Is the 512mb a single stick or 2 X 256mb sticks.
Have you tried removing the original 512mb of Ram and using only the 2 new sticks and if so what happened.

Sorry got the laptop bit BTW so just need the brand and model.

hi phillpower2.. here are my answers to ur questions:

- its a gateway M210.
- the new ram is the same specs as the onboard ram. the onboard ram is 512MB. the new ram is from Crucial. and its 1GB ram stick.
- i cant remove the original ram (512MB) since its on the motherboard. i'm not going to open up my laptop. its too much trouble.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

The notebook concerned http://www.notebookr...asp?newsID=2153 is this correct.

i used 2 new ram sticks,

Was the second stick of Ram that you tried a replacement from Crucial due to the first stick of Ram not working.

Is the Ram the same as what Crucial recommend at the attached link http://www.crucial.c...s-upgrades.html

There is some confusion regarding the amount of Ram that is and can be fitted I`m afraid, the notebook is only capable of holding a maximum of 1,256 MB of system memory with 256mb of this integrated into the MB and one sodimm slot available which is capable of accepting up to a 1GB stick of additional Ram, so unless it is the wrong notebook specification you cannot have 512mb of Ram already installed, see attachment below;

Did you use the Crucial system scanner tool to get the recommended Ram upgrade details http://www.crucial.c.../systemscanner/

koolx

koolx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Is the Ram the same as what Crucial recommend at the attached link http://www.crucial.c...s-upgrades.html

There is some confusion regarding the amount of Ram that is and can be fitted I`m afraid, the notebook is only capable of holding a maximum of 1,256 MB of system memory with 256mb of this integrated into the MB and one sodimm slot available which is capable of accepting up to a 1GB stick of additional Ram, so unless it is the wrong notebook specification you cannot have 512mb of Ram already installed, see attachment below;

Did you use the Crucial system scanner tool to get the recommended Ram upgrade details http://www.crucial.c.../systemscanner/

no u dont understand.. i'll explain.. when i first got my laptop, i specified 512MB onboard ram when i ordered it. my case is a bit special. so, if i upgrade, the max ram would be 1.5GB ram. i eventually bought an extra 1GB ram stick for a total of 1.5GB ram. it worked perfectly for 5 yrs until the summer when i got a virus. since then, i've been getting BSOD until i remove the extra ram. and yes, its the same ram from crucial.

so how can i finally get my ram stick to work again without the BSODs?

Edited by koolx, 30 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
I fully understood the information that was provided thanks, the manufacturers specifications for the notebook state that it only has 256mb of onboard Ram and nothing was telling us anything different, when your OP said that you had 512mb of Ram it suggested that there was a 256mb stick in the SODIMM slot, that asides if you do only have 256mb of Ram on the MB adding a 1GB stick of the correct Ram you should not be having this issue and that is what we must resolve.

You mention that your computer got a virus in the summer, are you certain that there is not still malware on your computer and if so how was this confirmed.

Please note that we cannot and do not offer malware guidance on these forums and that we can only recommend that you seek the help of the experts over on the malware forums if there is any chance that the issue could be malware related.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information. :thumbsup:

koolx

koolx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I fully understood the information that was provided thanks, the manufacturers specifications for the notebook state that it only has 256mb of onboard Ram and nothing was telling us anything different, when your OP said that you had 512mb of Ram it suggested that there was a 256mb stick in the SODIMM slot, that asides if you do only have 256mb of Ram on the MB adding a 1GB stick of the correct Ram you should not be having this issue and that is what we must resolve.

You mention that your computer got a virus in the summer, are you certain that there is not still malware on your computer and if so how was this confirmed.

Please note that we cannot and do not offer malware guidance on these forums and that we can only recommend that you seek the help of the experts over on the malware forums if there is any chance that the issue could be malware related.

you havent understood my last post for whatever reason. i'll state it again.. i know that the default ram is 256MB. when i ordered the laptop, i specified ram of 512MB. it arrived with 512. later, i added 1GB for a total ram of 1.5GB. its worked like this for 5 yrs. you got to accept this as fact. i seriously dont understand why its so hard for you to understand this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
As I said it is not hard to understand, it is also unimportant as the amount of Ram you have is not causing the issue.

Have you run the PCPitstop test.

Can you answer this for us.