Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Range extender or powerline?

• Please log in to reply

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have an arris modem/wifi router from time warner. Its located in the living room corner by a window. I read this week that thats a terrible place for it as half the power is being sent out the window. The other problem is the cable guy didnt leave enough cable to place it anywhere else.

The wifi has been really inconsistent especially with my xbox and blue ray player streaming Netflix.

Would it be better to use a range extender closer to the stuff i want to connect or a powerline adapter

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Sounds wacky but it works :thumbsup:
http://lifehacker.co...-wi fi-extender

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Interesting, but the one i have has an internal antenna

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok Then I suggest that you might purchase some ethernet cable and place it in an area of the house that best suits you.

Or the range extender I dea would not be a bad idea you can get one for under a 100.
https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ca$ino

Ca$ino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
But my question was is a range extender better/more reliable than a powerline adapter that sends the signal through the home's outlets/electrical lines

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I personally use a range extender and am pretty happy with it,have no experience with the other sorry.