Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't boot, graphics or motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

Calceolaria

Calceolaria

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My husband reported to me for the past few days that every now and then, the monitor would go black but the computer would still be running. It didn't happen when I was using it until recently, so I decided to check to see if it was due to overheating. I checked the fan which wasn't dusty and placed everything back in its place. I have an HP g7 laptop. When it gets warm it does feel rather warm but not so hot where the fan is constantly kicking in to cool the laptop.

Before I checked the fan, the screen went black on me a few times so I forced a shut down and waited a while before attempting to reboot. During this time I removed the battery and kept it off for about 5 minutes before reattaching it and attempting reboot. The computer sounded like it restarted but the screen stayed black.

Right now, I am have the computer plugged in. There is a red light when I have the powercord plugged in, and when I press the on button, the light turns white and stays steady. Does this mean the motherboard continues to receive power? Is this a problem with the motherboard, or the graphics card? We didn't have any issues with viruses or malware, and our anti-virus/anti-malware software was working very well.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Are we actually talking about a desktop unit here Calceolaria? :confused:

Calceolaria

Calceolaria

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a laptop. Does that make a huge difference?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

It's a laptop. Does that make a huge difference?

No but the way that you phrased your initial post made me think this was a desk top in the way you described opening the laptop, graphics cards etc.

Have you done this kind of thing before as laptops are extremely intricate things and anything could have happened when you opened it up.

It may well be that the screen inverter has failed and needs replacing.

Calceolaria

Calceolaria

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OOps, sorry I should have been more clear. I actually have opened up a laptop before to check the fans and add more RAM. With this one, I didn't actually open it up completely. I opened it enough to slightly lift it to check the fan for dust, but when I saw it wasn't very dusty at all I put it back together. The graphics card was located in a different area that was easier to completely open up, and I made sure it was securely in place.

Should I get it taken in to get looked at? The power button still doesn't work.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I would definitely recommend taking it to a professional PC repair outlet so that they can take a look at it. :thumbsup: