Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS wont boot, no signal on monitor

• Please log in to reply

tothenines

tothenines

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I got up one morning and went to my desktop and the monitor would just go to sleep, but my tower said it was on. I just figured it was the monitor. Everything had been running fine the night before. I ordered a new monitor, but while waiting for it to come in, I noticed a few days later there was the windows screen on monitor, froze and it looked pix elated. I tried to reboot and as soon as I tried to start windows normally or in safe mode, the monitor went back to sleep, so it wasnt the monitor after all. I have tried many things, I have set the settings to defalt upon setup, I have unplugged the tower and held the power button for 30 secs to a min and then plugged back in, the fan runs pretty fast and loud for for about 20 seconds then goes to boot up screen. Still wont boot.
I have a Dell Optiplex GX280
Bios Version A04
Serial ATA, Sata 2
I bought it refurbished about 2 years ago.
After a default setting, it tells me Floppy Diskette Seek failure, so I go back in my settings and turn off the floppy.
Also says Drive 1 not found
I have opened the system and removed the battery, replaced it, and also switched the boards back and forth, also I looked to see if everything is connected and it appears it is.
Ive also tried booting the system with the monitor unplugged, then plug it in once I hear the computer load.
Any suggestions would really help, as I have been dealing with this for over a week :(
All of my business files are on this desktop

Thank you!!!

Advertisements

tothenines

tothenines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just took the Video card out again and inspected it, its a foxconn and there is a burn on one corner. Great... anyone know how to fix this? Or am I going to need a whole new motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: tothenines

Sorry to hear that you are having computer problems.

Have you tried removing the add on video card and then used the video chip that is integrated into the MB (motherboard)

Can you tell us which of the following your power button resembles when the add on video card is fitted.

green light—blinking green in sleep state;
solid green for power-on state

amber light—blinking amber indicates a problem with an installed device;
solid amber indicates an internal power