Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCP Port 80 on host could not be reached + other errors

• Please log in to reply

cherdon

cherdon

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I went over my daughters today to get her puter running..she has a desktop with windows xp. Everything was fine until I installed Norton Security 2012. Part way it froze, then I couldn't get anything on screen for almost an hour. She is using Rangebooster G Desktop Adapter D-Link and was given WEP key from girl downstairs who has WIFI..key numbers were put in and internet connection (Bell) was very good. Previously I ran cc cleaner and malwarebytes which showed she had that pup.web which was removed. Now the big problem is, accessing internet explorer..getting page cant be displayed then got the following:
TCP PORT 80 on host 65.55.57.27 could not be reached error code 0X271d
The internet host www.microsoft.com could not be reached
The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer (whatever that means)
The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address

HTTP Diagnostic:
FTP (passive) error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com - a connection to server could not be established
HTTPS- error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net connection with server could not be established
HTTP error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com. A connection with server could not be established

Could not make an HTTP connection
Could not make an HTTPS connection
Could not make an FTP connection

I had to write this down to bring home to contact you because of no internet connection. I googled what to do and surprisingly am told to go to certain websites to download certain programs. WHY WOULD THEY TELL SOMEONE WHO HAS NO INTERNET, THAT THEY HAVE TO GO TO SITES TO DOWNLOAD..one cannot do that if they cant get on the internet so please dont tell me to do the same because its impossible to do so. I need something that I can work with that will solve this issue so i can go back to her place and do what needs to be done. Im not getting mad at you, just frustrated with the whole situation. Please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode. Do a System Restore to date/time before you installed Norton. See if that gets things working again. If yes, don't install Norton or McAfee or AVG or Avast. Install Microsoft Security Essentials as your Anti-virus.

cherdon

cherdon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Ztrucker..not sure exactly when I will be going back to her place..maybe Wed or Thur. Its been awhile since Ive tried booting to Safe Mode..is that where u press F8 when it starts to load after restarting puter? I truly believe its that darn Norton that caused this trouble cause everything was fine before stupid me tried to install it. I should have went with my gut feeling and just used Microsoft Security Essentials. Ok will post back after I go there and try out what you suggested. Happy New Year :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, F8 during early boot, then Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore.

I agree, sounds like Norton is the cause.

You may want to take the latest copy of the Norton Removal Tool with you and run it before doing the restore.