Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bsod help please

• Please log in to reply

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Pip
  • 8 posts
been having a bsod issue with my comp. the only time it seems to happen is when playing Diablo III. contacted blizzard. they said to try updating my video drivers and disabling sli. problem remains. doesnt do it when browsing or playing other games. only when playing diablo 3. here are the .dmp files. thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The last 3 dumps all indicate one bit memory failure.

You can try testing your memory though that doesn't always show up a problem.

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

You can do this on any computer that has a working CD Burner.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

A better test is to remove 1/2 the memory then test. If it fails, swap memory and test again. If it works, replace the memory chip that is not in the computer.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks will try that in a few minutes. also here are the computers specs. dont know if it will help or not
Aerocool Cyclone II case
Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
AMD FX-8150 eight core processor
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-1866 ram
2x Asus GTX550-ti 1GB GDDR5 graphics cards
120GB Corsair Force Series 3 solid state drive
Asus 12x bluray burner
Corsair H80 hydro cooler
Corsair HX1050 power supply
3x Aerocool 120mm fans
1x Aerocool 180mm fan
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
started test with all 4 stick in. at 4% it had already found 13 errors. so i stopped the test and am now testing each stick separately. so far 2 good sticks. 3rd is testing now. hopefully thats all the problem is. easy fix.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok. now im really stumped. testing each stick separately they are all good. but if i run the test with all 4 in i get tons of errors.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just noticed something else. if i have only one or two stick of ram in, it runs at the advertised 1866mhz. if i have three or four in it cuts the speed down to 1333mhz. if i manually set speed back to 1866mhz i get instant bsod before it even starts loading windows.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you checked for a BIOS update for the ASUS board? If none, contact ASUS and see if they have any suggestion.

Mean time run with 8GB of ram.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
running smoothly on 8gb at 1866mhz. havent tried playing diablo 3 yet though. will check for bios updates after work tomorrow. thanks.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
updated the bios. didnt fix the problem. still get reduced speeds with all 16gb in it. still get instant bsod if i manually set to correct speed. got home to late to call. so sent emails to both corsair and asus describing the issue.

VIPER1988a

VIPER1988a

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well neither of them were very helpful. asus said its not a problem with their board, call corsair. corsair said its not a problem with their memory, call asus. so im still stuck at half my ram for stable operation.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Start a thread in the Hardware System Building and Upgrading forum. Add a link to this thread so anyone interested can come here to see what you did so far.