Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which CPU

• Please log in to reply

panthertooth

panthertooth

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am currently thinking about updating my CPU and MOBO but i am unsure of what to get, I have been to tomshardware.com and looked at their Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart and am between two CPU's right now this and this.on the second one i can get it as a CPU/MOBO bundle whereas the first i would have to pay for the MOBO separately, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hello panthertooth

What will be the main use of the computer be both now and in the future, the reason that I ask is because the average user will not even make use of the 4 cores on a quad CPU so the additional cash spent on a 6 core CPU could be deemed a waste of financial resources.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
The main use would be playing games/watching movies mainly games include-world of warcraft, Eve online, guildwars 2 etc, possibly others like assassins creed 3 and medal of honor

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
A quad core CPU is more than capable of that, anyone using multiple displays or running many programs concurrently benefit from the additional cores that 6 and 8 core AMD CPUs offer.

Benchmark wise the 6 core Vishera comes out well on top ranked at #115 while the 4 core Deneb is ranked at #243 http://www.cpubenchm...h_end_cpus.html

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So then i would be ahead of the game by getting This as far as value goes, I can get that CPU with This MOBO for 184.99 plus tax

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
That is a good deal and having the extra resources available is a bonus :thumbsup: