Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Explorer Windows on start up

• Please log in to reply

Gnitrops

Gnitrops

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello all,

I've installed Windows 8 Pro about a month ago. Everything has been doing good so far, apart from the "Homegroup" icon randomly appearing on the desktop.
Today however something strange happened: The boot was much longer than usual (Usually takes ~1min to boot into desktop, took ~5) and when it finished, I had 77 (!) Windows Explorer windows open, all on "system32". I managed to ctrl-alt-del into task manager to kill the processes (the computer was not much responsible) and log out/log in again, and everything went back to normal.
This got me worried, since it is a quite strange behaviour and might mean something nasty in my PC? How can I investigate/solve this?

Cheers,
Gnitrops

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like you may have picked up some malware. Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

ShoppingMonk

ShoppingMonk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okie Thanks for the reply