Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Drive Lost Recognition

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have a WD 640 GB external hard drive for backup and storage. A while back it suddenly did not appear on My Computer as the partitioned drives, although it was recognized in Disk Management. Yesterday I reset the partitions and reformatted both (not the Quick reformat). The two partitions showed healthy in Disk Management and also appeared on my computer. When I did a C:/ drive backup to one of the partitions, the backup ran for about 90 minutes then I got an error saying "Backup did not complete successfully. Internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or unsupported. (0xEA39070A)"

After that, the two partitioned drives onthis disk no longer appeared in either My Computer of Disk Management. Oddly, the external drive did show up when I click the icon int he task bar to Safely Disconnect Hardware.

I need some Geek help on this one.

domer7

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds to me like the external drive could be on its way out Domer.

Try plugging the drive in again whilst the machine is off, boot up and see if it is listed in Computer.

If it is then highlight it, right click on it and choose Properties.

In Properties choose Tools and then click on the Error Checking/Check Now aspect and let that run to see the result.