Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't login to hotmail or other subscribed sites..

• Please log in to reply

shajoe44

shajoe44

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I am unable to login to my hotmail account or another subscribed site on my Dell 1501 laptop. This seems to have happen a few weeks ago. I am able to login on another laptop so it is not the sites. When I go to hotmail it allows me to enter email address and password and then just goes back to login boxes. On my other problem site which is scout.com, it allows me to log on and it shows that I am logged in at the top of the web page. When I try to read an article that only paying members are able to read it sends me to the login screen asking me to login. JUst like hotmail I enter user name and password and it just sends me right back to the login screen. I have cleared cookies, cache and history with no luck. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hello shajoe44, and welcome to Geeks To Go! :welcome:

What version of IE are you using? Or are you using a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc)?

It sounds like the cookies from those sites are being rejected and as such, your login state is not able to be saved from page to page.

Once we know what browser and browser version you are using, we can walk you through checking the settings to determine if this is the issue.

shajoe44

shajoe44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Firefox 17.0.1

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
OK. Let's take a look at your configuration.

• In Firefox, go to Tools then Options. If you have the Menu bar hidden, click on the Firefox Single Menu button at the upper left of the main Firefox window and click on Options.
  • In the Options window, click on the Privacy tab.
  • Look in the History section. The default setting is for Firefox to remember all History. If the selection is currently showing "Use custom settings for history", then check to ensure that there is NO check in the box next to Always use private browsing mode and that there IS a check mark in the box next to Accept cookies from sites.
  • Click on the Exceptions button and make sure that the sites that you are having a problem with are not listed there.

If you are still having issues after verifying these settings, then it is possible that an Add-on is causing the problem. To determine if an add-on is at fault, try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. ** PLEASE NOTE ** Safe Mode for Firefox is NOT related to Safe Mode for Windows. Safe Mode in Firefox will start Firefox with all add-ons disabled and some settings temporarily reset to their defaults to allow for troubleshooting.

To start Firefox in Safe Mode, you can either hold down the SHIFT key while starting Firefox, or, if Firefox is already running, simply click on Help then Restart with Add-Ons Disabled. When Firefox starts in Safe Mode, you will get a notification message about what Safe Mode is and some choices. DO NOT click in any of the boxes yet, simply click on the Continue in Safe Mode button and test your access to those sites. If you are able to access the sites and remain logged in, then one of the add-ons is most likely causing the issue.

Please try these steps and let me know the outcome. Thanks!

Edited by SongCloud, 02 January 2013 - 06:22 PM.

shajoe44

shajoe44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Still not working after doing as instructed. Another thing I have noticed lately and this may be totally another problem. When I type the web page in the address bar I want to go to, often times a crazy looking web site will open in a completely new window.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Still not working after doing as instructed. Another thing I have noticed lately and this may be totally another problem. When I type the web page in the address bar I want to go to, often times a crazy looking web site will open in a completely new window.

Unfortunately, this sounds like the effects of a possible malware infection.

Please go here and follow the instructions. You are already a member, so you have step 1 of those instructions already done! :) Proceed through the rest of them and post the OTL log in the malware removal forum here. Be sure to describe the issues that you are having in detail again to them in that thread so that they have a complete overview of the situation. If you are still having issues once they have declared your computer clean, then come on back here and we can continue looking for other non-malware related causes.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.