Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

google

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all..me again :rolleyes:
i have just noticed that when i open google chrome the homepage ( google search ) comes up twice, 2 separate tabs...both are exactly the same...can anyone give me an idea why its started doing this..
done a scan with mbam and avast, no threats detected..
i dont suppose its much of a problem, its just really annoying cos i have to shut down the second tab every time i go to google and im basicly a bone idle git :lol: ...would love to get rid if poss so any help is, as always, much appreciated

regards
nige

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
DO you have google set as your home page twice in Chrome options? (I don't use chrome so this is just a guess but I know you can set multiple home pages with firefox).

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You may be double left clicking twice on a sensitive mouse perhaps. :headscratch:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thanks guys...i dont think it is set twice as it did it on its own, i havent been fiddling ( honest guv ) and i dont have a mouse, its a pad thingy on my laptop. ive tried it on other programs and its fine.. i did notice that when i open a site, like this one, then minimise it to tray and then open google again, it only opens one tab, but its a different page than i get when i open chrome on its own ( im probly not explaining this too well )..i did a system restore yesterday and its still the same...i am a tad baffled :confused: ( as per usual )...i think my lappy has developed a personality and does this just to wind me up :lol: ...maybe i should drop kick it through a window to show it who's boss...anyhoo, your help is much appreciated guys

regards
nige

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uninstall then download and reinstall Chrome?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
now why didnt i think of that :rolleyes:

thanks chap, i'll give it a go :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Personally I prefer Firefox but that's just me. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i tried firefox but couldnt get on with it...was always crashing and freezing...also tried safari, but that comes with so much garbage from apple i got rid of it...tried the new IE, didnt like that either...chrome seems to be the only one not loaded with rubbish and is easy to work...
did the uninstall - re install and that fixed it so cheers all...many thanks for your time and advice once again :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Good to hear you're rockin ad rollin again Nige. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
only cos you guys are here ..you have all been SO much help, i'd probably have set fire to this lappy and my PC by now :lol: ...i am so glad i found this site and im sure i'll be back when something else goes pear shaped..you guys ( and girls ) ROCK :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S...dont suppose you could explain what BIOS is or means could ya..i see it a lot in topics i read on here but me no understandy

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The BIOS is an acronym for Basic In Out System and without a bios no one is going anywhere fast.

The bios controls everything and without a CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semi-Conductor) chip all base settings such as the time etc are gone.

Read more on this Vistasucks...

The BIOS

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
:thumbsup: ...thanks mate, made for an interesting read..i actually understood some of it too :lol:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
:lol: :lol:

Yes it can get a bit................deep. :wacko:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Next you need to learn about UEFI, the BIOS replacement in newer computers.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
was that written in another language :confused: :lol:
its the terminology that gets me...i dont understand any of it..my head hurts now :unsure:..the world was so much easier when we had pens and bits of paper ( god i'm old )
perhaps i should stick to pressing the wrong buttons and letting you guys sort the mess i create :lol:
many many thanks for all your time and effort guys

regards
nige