Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot connect to the internet after install

• Please log in to reply

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

omg yeah >.< i never noticed that sticker before!

Ok, then you can install Windows Vista legally on the machine you don't need a XP license.
Check on the sticker the exact Windows Vista edition, Home Premium, Professional, etc.

Edit: Never mind you can use Windows Vista Ultimate, when you insert your key it will install only the correct version you can legally use.

ok so where can i download it? i do have an external harddrive now or do i need to put it on a disc and run the set up like i did xp?

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
Download Windows Vista from this site. (Thanks to Ztruker for the Instructions.)

Edited by SleepyDude, 05 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks a ton mate. ill post if i as successful.

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok not too sure how to set up the disc for the install :/

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

ok so where can i download it? i do have an external harddrive now or do i need to put it on a disc and run the set up like i did xp?

You need to download the 3 files from the site and put them on the same folder then run the exe file.
I have to test but it should work if you create a bootable USB key with all the extracted files + the WIM's files.

If you need help on this please ask I will try to do the same process tomorrow.

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok, well its downloading atm so thatll take a few min since one is over 2 gigs. and i wonder if my external harddrive will work for the USB boot

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

ok, well its downloading atm so thatll take a few min since one is over 2 gigs. and i wonder if my external harddrive will work for the USB boot

You will need a empty USB key because it need to be formatted to boot.

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok so a disc then?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

ok so a disc then?

A USB flash drive 4GB at least or a DVD to burn but the USB flash is faster to install and also better to fix errors if something went wrong creating the "vista install disk".

Edited by SleepyDude, 05 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok ill find one then. how big does it have to be?

Advertisements

Kylep1990

Kylep1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i just transferred the files to my pc and its upgrading to vista now. ^.^ thanks i appreciate the help and pointing out the sticker! if somthing else comes up ill be sure to come back here

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

i just transferred the files to my pc and its upgrading to vista now. ^.^ thanks i appreciate the help and pointing out the sticker! if somthing else comes up ill be sure to come back here

Ok, don't forget to update with Vista Service Pack 2 and to visit the HP page to download all the needed drivers.

Edit: You can create the Vista DVD using the files you download, follow the instructions How To Burn Downloaded Windows Vista to DVD from Raymond.cc blog.

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 January 2013 - 04:46 AM.