Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unresponsive video card

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. I was bought Max Payne 3 for xmas as a download from Gamersgate. Have the patches installed.
Max Payne 3 just randomly crashes. Some times i can play for an hour before a crash and other times it will crash within 5 minutes. I have the game settings on default. I turn off my antivirus whilst playing (and it aws off for installation). I do not have hardly any processes running at the same time.
When it crashes i get a window saying 'Video card unresponsive'. I have had the card for about 9 months and have not overclocked or anything.
I have read everything i can find and tried everything i can find.
I have no problems with any other games or applications.
Windows XP SP3
AMD Phenom 9950 quad core 2.60GHz Processor
4 gig RAM
Video card is AMD Radeon R6870 1gig. I uninstalled the video drivers in safe mode and installed the latest drivers. Having been a late starter on the game i have noticed that most of the problems similar to mine were posted about 6 months ago so i am assuming these problems have been sorted for other people but i just don't seem to be able to find the cure for the problem. I was starting to think the game d/l was corrupt or the patches but i would have thought it would just crash at starting the game if it was that, and i wouldn't get an 'Unresponsive Video Card' message. Surely this video card can run that game!?
Run out of ideas now.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I just found this..... http://kotaku.com/59...on-max-settings
They are displaying Directx 11, which isn't an option for XP. Would this have anything to do with it?