Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Connection through Wifi Router

• Please log in to reply

Hamza94

Hamza94

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello All, I have a TL-WR740N TP-Link Wireless Router, I wanted to change my wifi password as I had a feeling someone else was useing it. I pressed the reset button on the backside of the router for 30 sec and it was restarted! But now, there is no internet connection in it. I can connect to my Wifi but can not access the internet! I just cant understand what went wrong! I tried a couple of things like going to the network properties and setting internet Protocol to detect an IP automatically. and stuff like that, nothing works! Also when i remove the wifi router and directly connect my PC, the internet works! But not if I connect it through the wireless router! I would really appreciate some help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of internet connection do you have? DSL, Cable? who is the provider?

some ISP's and internet connection types require you to make setting changes on your router to connect through their services

Hamza94

Hamza94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

what kind of internet connection do you have? DSL, Cable? who is the provider?

some ISP's and internet connection types require you to make setting changes on your router to connect through their services

I use a DSL connection, PTCL is the provider.. what kind of settings should I need to make it work throught the wireless router, the internet works fine when I connect it directly with the modem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're in pakistan (googeling PTCL comes up with http://ptcl.com.pk/r...id=111&rp_id=28)? if so do you have some kind of customer log in that you can use to get support from them? they will probably have some setup instructions SPECIFIC to their connection.

http://www.tp-link.c...R740N_V4_UG.pdf this is the manual for your router. go to page 8 and follow those steps there. there seems to be an "automatically detect" option within the configuration that will detect what authentication protocol your ISP requires. with DSL it's probably PPPoE, which will require your ISP username and password once it tries to connect that way.

Hamza94

Hamza94

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help buddy, I called over the PTCL helpline and the guy told me to use the dynamic IP instead of the automatic connection. That did the trick! Thank You once again for you time and you Replays, :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad we got it working. remember that setting change in case you have to reset the router again.

now that you've got the router connected to the internet, you're going to want to reconfigure the wireless security on the router again so that people can't jsut connect to your network without you knowing