Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive won't boot after interrupted CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply

LionMK

LionMK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 TB HDD whole on non-system partition which I used only for archiving files, and is almost full with only 12 GB free space. Before 3 days I started Windows 7 and it asked me to do a chkdsk so I let it run. But I had a power loss and Check Disk was interrupted. After next boot Windows won't start and it is stuck on splash screen on Windows 7, but if I remove that HDD from motherboard everything is fine and Windows is loading and working normally.

Now, I tried to do a backup of the files from that partition but Acronis and Norton Ghost say that I need to run Check Disk. When I started cmd from windows install dvd and run "diskpart", it says that drive status is Healthy so I hit "chkdsk d: /r". Now chkdsk is very slow running for about 32 hours and it didn't find bad sectors on the first phase and everything goes well with 2nd and 3rd phase. On the 4th phase, file data system, it's going very slow and it pass only 34% of the disk with only minor file cluster errors (12) that had been replaced.

My question is, can chkdsk restore my Hard Drive to previous state without losing files and to boot normally on Windows cause now I can't start Windows with this HDD (tried on two PCs)?

Advertisements