Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do I need in order to edit HD videos?

• Please log in to reply

Leni0328

Leni0328

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just started recording HD videos on my samsung WB150F camera. However, when I try to edit my 10 to 15 minute videos on my Gateway NV53 laptop the Windows Live Movie Maker program crashes. After using Movie Maker for a few minutes a get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display drver ATI Radeon Family stopped responding and has successfully recovered." After a while a blue screen pops up and my computer restarts. I went to Best Buy and Tiger Direct and I was told that my Gateway laptop has an integreted graphic card. Therefore, I am better off just buying a new computer. I want to know if this is really true or if they are simply trying to get me to spend money on a new computer. Below I included the information of my Gateway laptop.

Gateway NV53

AMD Athlon II X2 M300
500 GB HDD
4 GB Memory

If it's better for me to just get a new laptop or desktop what exactly do I need to look for when purchasing a computer for editing HD videos. Do I need to look at the processor, ram, graphic card or what exactly. I"ve been doing research online but I don't know anything about computers so it's very confusing. I am willing to spend up to $1,000 on a new laptop or tower.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
http://www.videohelp...ditors-h264-avc

this is a list of software that might work for you. TMPGEnc comes highly recommended.

As to upgrading, it really depends on how serious you are about video editing. I would try some of the software first, then when you find the tool you like, then you can decide what direction you want to go.

Intel has multimedia optimizations that can speed up video processing. I would recommend them over amd for that function. Something like Intel Core i5-3570K and 8 gigs of ram. I recommend a desktop if your serious about video as it will give you the ability to upgrade.

Hope this answer your questions.