Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop is painfully slow

• Please log in to reply

norsaint

norsaint

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
not sure if I'm in the right place but will give it a try. Have just got myself a brand new Acer Aspire V3-571G to replae a HP notebook, whose motherboard is apparently about to give up the ghost.
The problem is that despite having double the ram, bigger hard drive and almost the same speed processor (2.5 as against 2.66), and it being an I5, the new one is much slower than the 2yo notebook.
It struggles to open pages, the cursor stops working or misbehaves occassionally, in short it is a pain in the backsid
It came with pre-installed Mcaffee, which after much drama, I managed to uninstall. Now however whenever I put the free Malawares version on, the thing stops working and I can only reboot in safemode.
thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If this is the same one that you have then I don't understand why you felt the need to bump up the mem, HDD and the cpu as the specs are pretty decent already.

Apparently that machine will only hold still for 8GB of RAM max anyway.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B008I3E3MW

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
I didn't bump up anything, this is how it emerged from the box! However given the specs, it is performing abysmally. Have downloaded a drivers updater etc but it doesn't seem to have improved much. Has got me stumped a rather disappointed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: norsaint

While Wolfeymole is away can I pitch in with a suggestion, you have gotten rid of Mcaffee which is a good start but let us see if there is any other bloat ware causing you issues;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information. :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
While you're doing those things as advised by Phil let me just say that I now realise that you meant in comparative terms to the old HP machine.

You say the Acer is brand new so please allow me to ask if you have uninstalled all the bloatware such as 30/60 day trails of things such as MS Office, Norton, superfluous games etc?

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok thanks, will do as you suggest. Might have to wait for tomorrow though, getting near my bedtime!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok mate please let us know how you go on. :thumbsup:

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Wolfeymole,
will do as you suggest. Thought MS Office was usuable in a watered down form for good.
One of the particularly annoying traits this machine has is the [bleep] cursor jumps all over the place for no reason. There is a download fix/patch/driver update but it don't seem to be working! Thanks.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you had a look in Mouse/Touchpad Properties in Control Panel to check the sensitivity Norsaint?

MS Office should still work but you may get hit by nag screens to buy the full version but you could consider Open Office which is free and can open any Office application if you use Office aspects.

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi guys,
not sure if this is any good. For some reason IE wouldn't work properly and yet I got the following on Chrome.
http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary
will give IE another go.

thanks again

Advertisements

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is what the IE test came up with.
http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the url (both work :thumbsup: )

Using any uninstallers provided with the software uninstall the following;

Bing Bar - you may only be able to disable this.
ThreatFire PC Tools 1/1/13 AntiVirus
Vittalia Installer
Kobo - if not used.
Fooz Kids - if not used.
Acer Games (1.0.2.5) WildTangent
newsXpresso (1.0.0.40) esobi Inc.
Fooz Kids Platform (2.1) FUHU, Inc.

Decide if you wish to keep the following, personally I wouldn`t as they are only a download a way if you want them

Defraggler (2.12) Piriform 12/31/12
Recuva (1.44) Piriform 12/31/12
Speccy (1.19) Piriform 12/31/12
CCleaner
Norton Online Backup.

Let us know when you are done and we can move on.

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok thanks Phil.
Removed all except for Kobo (might use it by the looks) and Threat Fire, which I've got on old machine and seems to work ok. Any reason why you tLeft hink it should go? Left the bottom four for the same reason, although Norton backup has disappeared into the ether as well!

norsaint

norsaint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your help gentlemen. The machine does appear to be much more tractable now. The cursor/touchpad is still unduly sensitive and jumping around a bit but I'll fiddle around with the settings a bit more. Many thanks!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I too have an Acer laptop Norsaint and if I ever want to take it down to my local pub (which has free WiFi) to work then I use a cheap and cheerful wireless mouse as I find it far easier than messing about on the touch pad.

Just a thought mate. :thumbsup: