Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Artifacting and Power Supply Issue

• Please log in to reply

Simonye

Simonye

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, I'm completely stumped here. I started getting artifacting(stretched out textures of varying colors, sometimes dots inside textures)in a lot of games. I have a HD7950, CX600 Corsair PSU, AMD Phenom 2 X4 3.2ghz, and 8gb of HyperX DDR3. So, I first checked the voltages, all seemed well, according to spec(I only used software for checking the voltage though). I did a fresh install of Windows 7, fresh download of the 12.11 drivers. Still having the issue.

So I dropped the card into my wives computer, after a couple hours I started getting artifacting again. I put in an old HD6770 and after awhile I started having artifacts. So, safe to assume CX600 PSU has gone bad eh? What do you guys think I should now? Test the cables on the PSU with a multi-meter? Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Simonye

Common causes of this type of issue are a bad PSU, bad drivers and heat, you have made a good start by ruling out a driver issue so lets take a look at the PSU output and the system temps please;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Some further information regarding possible PSU issues;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've never overclocked the card, and ever since I've had it installed the Sapphire 7950 has never ran hotter than 52 degrees. The cpu never ran hotter than 47 degrees, both while playing a game. Here's a link to the Speedfan image.

My link

I see using Speedfan instead of HWMonitor that my +5v is a low. I ran HWmonitor right after, and this is the results I got from that.

My link

I've never had a problem with the computer booting up, but I think two or three times In the past three weeks the system suddenly reboots itself.

Thanks for the help by the way.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Your temps and voltages are shown to be ok but the CPU usage a little high for a system that is idle, the +5V you can see that is showing a low reading is the systems stand by voltage and the reading is not a concern, for a final test download and run HWInfo to put your nind at ease http://www.hwinfo.com/index.html let us know the results and we can then move on.

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, I went ahead and bought a new PSU anyway. Doesn't hurt, and we have a Best Buy up the road. I purchased a Corsair GS700. After I get it installed, I'll download that HWinfo and update this topic. Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
OK I will look out for an update, you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, swapped in the new PSU. Voltages don't seem much different, if any. I kind of expected that actually. But here is the HWinfo screenshot.

My link

The problems always did come up after a couple hours of playing a game. Almost like the video card has faulty memory and when I start using up memory on the card it gets to the bad spot and starts acting up. Because the odd thing is, I can just close the game out, restart it and won't have issues again for awhile. Odd eh?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
It is odd that the HD6770 also had artifacts but to test the HD7950 VRam run the tool at the attached link http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

Will Best Buy take the PSU back.

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, they're really good about returns. That's why I wasn't afraid to buy one, worst case scenario I can return it. May end up keeping it for the extra head room for future purchases though. I'll run that test and see what happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alright, so after an hour of playing World of Warcraft and doing a couple battlegrounds, I ran that test. I ran an Express test first, with the two options (bit color mask? and Onscreen buffer) off. It passed, with no errors. I did it again with Onscreen Buffer on, and it came up with errors galore. I stopped it around 1,xxx errors. Thing is, the program claims it doesn't support the HD7950, so I I'm not sure if I can believe it. But the system has been on now for well over an hour, played a game for about 45 minutes, ran that test, still no signs of anything. So I guess I'll play WoW with the wife tonight and see if it comes back.

Here's an updated Speedfan from having the computer on and after playing a game for almost an hour.

My link

I'll update if the errors come back. Thanks for bearing with me Phillpower2.

Edit Update: Well, it started acting up. Time to throw in a different card I guess.

Edited by Simonye, 05 January 2013 - 05:31 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Couple more tests for you http://www.sevenforu...-test-occt.html and run the Furmark burn in test http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Couple of other things to suggest, blow out the video card slot (preferably with compressed air) before reseating the card, do the same with the memory and memory slots, the slightest bit of dust can generate extra heat + it can cause a static charge build up, both would cause artifacting.

Try one stick of Ram at a time and see if the issue occurs.

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alright, so get this...I threw in the HD6770 and for the past six hours I've been playing WoW (I know...lol) and have had not a single issue. I'm assuming the PSU or the HD7950 was bad. I'm going to try to RMA the card, otherwise it'll be one expensive paper weight. Thanks for all the help Phillpower2, If I could I'd +1 one ya! You've been a lot of help. Now my wife and I can get back to playing WoW :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the follow up and let us hope that the issue is now resolved and that you receive a full refund :thumbsup:

Any further problems you know where we are.

Simonye

Simonye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just thought I'd "close" this topic for good. I swapped out power supplies and RMA'd the card. I was using the HD6770 until Sapphire sent me back an HD7970! Said the HD7950 was defective. So, bigger better PSU and bigger better card, everything is better!