Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade fail.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the updated info Phillpower2. A very cheap solutions as well.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

PSorokin

PSorokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Crucial guarantees the results so if the Ram is the same as what they suggest it must be ok, Im not sure why it only reports two memory slots though.

Unhappy update :(: I bought this ram, which matches the specs prescribed by the crucial scanner. No, it wasn't one of the THREE brands of 4GB combos that MSI tested, but I really didn't expect a total failure like this. I get three beeps and no post.

So at this point, I can't upgrade by filling 4 DIMMs w/ all 2 GB sticks, per info here that chipset only supports 2 DIMMs. (Manual fail!) Can't upgrade to two 4GB sticks despite Bios update, CMOS reset (jumper reset and 1 hour w/ battery removed). Can't boot with only 1 slot filled with 4GB stick. (But two 2GB sticks still work perfectly.) MSI advises a bench test - something about the MB connections to the case and a possible improper ground. Either that or it's a bent pin on the processor connection. I'm not extremely experienced in this area, so I'm a hesitant to try either of these and risk damage to the board.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this? Could the above diagnoses really be the problem if some memory configurations DO work? I might be willing to try fixing a bent processor pin or MB mount, if many people here agree that this is a likely culprit and not just another wild goose chase. Otherwise, I'm either going to give up, or take to a shop. Probably just give up though. Buying memory that doesn't work is starting to get expensive.

Is it possible that the failure is JUST the fact that it is not name brand, MSI-tested RAM?

Edited by PSorokin, 12 January 2013 - 03:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry that the update is not better news PSorokin.

I am sure that you are aware of this but if not 3 beeps = bad memory, this could also be incompatible memory.

Regarding the Ram compatibility MSI acknowledge that there is other compatible Ram available, incompatibility is possible however;

The memory modules we list below are for reference only. Owing to massive memory modules selling on the market, we can only verify some of them.

I did note that the 4GB sticks tested by MSI are the DDR III 1333 type and that you can return the new Ram within 30 days.

A bent CPU pin would prevent the computer from booting up and depending on what the bad ground was - the MB for example would also prevent the computer from booting up.

PSorokin

PSorokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I did note that the 4GB sticks tested by MSI are the DDR III 1333 type

Yes, and I left out part of the story. I tried 1333 FIRST, which didn't work. That memory is on its way back to them. The 1066 memory was a 2nd attempt at memory from this manufacturer, which resulted in failure yesterday. Tell me if I'm wrong on this:

From the page for my motherboard, G31M-P35, the Test Report takes you to a page that shows the only 4GB sticks tested were for 1333 - this is correct. However, I started to think that maybe this test report is not really specific for this board (despite the fact that it's linked from this model's page), but rather just any MSI MB that use DDR3 and can support the speed listed?!? The specs at the top of the page shows DDR3 800/1066. So I figured that that was the problem - board doesn't support 1333. But again, the crucial scanner showed DDR3 1333 compatibility. This has all just been a nightmare . . .

Posted Image

Edited by PSorokin, 13 January 2013 - 10:25 AM.

PSorokin

PSorokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Double post. Sorry.

Edited by PSorokin, 13 January 2013 - 10:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I must admit that MSI will be off any future upgrade list of mine.

Also misleading is the information below;

Supports two DIMM DDR3 800/1066 DRAM

I am not sure what the above means, what about the 1333.

I am pleased that you have been able to return the Ram but sorry that the upgrade has not worked out for you.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Sorry to hear about your RAM issues. These kind of issues drove me away from MSI and to ASUS. Dealing with RAM anymore, has become a huge pain in the butt. Anymore, I only replace it in pairs and make sure the pairs come from the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) or RAM that has been tested and is compatible with the Motherboard. The only other tip I have is to avoid Ebay for computer parts. I have gotten more crap from there than stuff that was decent, regardless of the listing. I think your best bet at this point is the G.SKILL at NewEgg listed on the first page. I am running 4 sticks of it at 4GB each, and they all run great, no issues, on an AMD based system. Good Luck!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for your input fyrfyter33 :thumbsup: