Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new HDD

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
My linkhi all, i found this on flea bay
and was wondering if it was worth getting for my lappy...it would help with the lack of space i have on my existing drive...
your thoughts and advice are greatfully received

regatds
nige

Edited by vistasucks, 05 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi vistasucks.
Having a second HDD is always usefu, but you should check the manufacturers website, specs, upgrade, just to make sure it is possible.
The link you gave is for a refurbished drive, so advice reading all the terms and conditions.
The below link is for a brnd new drive, you should be able to telephone them to make further enquiries as they have a store front.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-250GB-SATA-Aspire/dp/B008VBU3HK

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

.......and was wondering if it was worth getting for my lappy...it would help with the lack of space i have on my existing drive...

What is your plan of action here Vistasucks?

Are you planning to remove the original drive with that new one and then reinstall Vista?

Why don't you go for a USB or mains powered external hard drive?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Hi vistasucks.
Having a second HDD is always usefu, but you should check the manufacturers website, specs, upgrade, just to make sure it is possible.
The link you gave is for a refurbished drive, so advice reading all the terms and conditions.
The below link is for a brnd new drive, you should be able to telephone them to make further enquiries as they have a store front.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-250GB-SATA-Aspire/dp/B008VBU3HK

.......and was wondering if it was worth getting for my lappy...it would help with the lack of space i have on my existing drive...

What is your plan of action here Vistasucks?

Are you planning to remove the original drive with that new one and then reinstall Vista?

Why don't you go for a USB or mains powered external hard drive?

hi guys..i'm not planning on using this as a secondary drive, i already have a 120 gig external one..i was hoping to replace the existing 60 gig drive which is partitioned into 2, and reinstall vista if possible..i dont keep any files on this one, they all go on my external drive and then copied to my pc so i have back ups..my problem is that this thing regularly runs low on operating space..its was down to 850 mb at one point which your excellent colleague macboatmaster helped me with ( re partitioned the drive )..i cant put extra ram memory in as its at its max of 2gb..all the stuff on this drive is the techy stuff the lappy needs ( i have another ongoing topic about what i can get rid of, just waiting for a reply from songcloud)My link..i just thought that replacing the drive with a bigger one would be the easiest way to eliminate the problem, rather than regularly messing about fixing it.. and thanks for the amazon link, never thought to look there and its a good price...also, is a solid state drive a viable option,considering this laptop is about 4 years old..sorry for all the questions, i wish i understood the complexity of these things so i wouldnt have to bother you guys so much...
your time is, as always, hugely appreciated
regards
nige

Edited by vistasucks, 06 January 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well unless you want to pay silly prices such as this example mate I'd forget all about the SSD route..

http://www.amazon.co...sbs_computers_3

You could double up on the earlier offering with this...

http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B000OUG69K

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok..i think i'll leave the ssd :o, i can get a new lappy for that..
i think i'll stick with the 250 gig drive, its plenty big enough for what i need, so, is swapping over and reinstalling vista viable then :confused: ...and is there someone willing to walk me through it, i take it i have have to copy everything (i dont have discs, it was all preinstalled) to my external drive and reboot from that :confused: or am i barking up the wrong tree :lol:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Remind me again what make the laptop is please.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Remind me again what make the laptop is please.

its an acer aspire 5315 with vista basic 32 bit...i can run speccy on it if you want more detailed info

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
No no that's fine mate.

Have a look in All Programs for the Acer eRecovery tool as this allows you to make "back to factory" recovery disks should you ever want to have it in a pristine condition once more and you will need these disks when you come to reinstall to a new hard drive.

http://acer.custhelp...WQvdVU3RFhDZmw=

Edited by Wolfeymole, 06 January 2013 - 07:26 AM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
cool...so its a go then :thumbsup:

i'll get it ordered and make the discs, i'll let you know when im ready to proceed...thanks for the help my friend, you is a star, innit :lol:

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do mate and I have included an Edit with a link to the eRecovery aspect at Acer to give you more details. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Please do mate and I have included an Edit with a link to the eRecovery aspect at Acer to give you more details. :thumbsup:

thanks mate, but i cant see it, or am i just being thick :happy:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This post by me right now is post 13 and you will see the post numbers to the right hand side with a hash sign, go back to post #9 and you will see my link.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
it was me being thick then :lol:
thanks mate and i'll get back to you as soon as it arrives :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome mate and please do. :thumbsup: