Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new HDD

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi chaps
i was just wondering how to start the swap over process...is it just a case of removing old drive, put in new drive and load the boot discs or do i have to do something before i take the old one out :confused: ...there is no personal stuff on it ( already removed to external drive )...its just programmes and applications and stuff..i wont do anything till i hear from you :thumbsup:

regards
nige

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Yes just pull the old one out, put the new one in, boot up and enter the bios making sure the cdrom drive is set as first boot option and at the same time pop the Vista disk.

Press F10 to save the settings and then you should see a black screen asking you to "Press any key to boot from cdrom".

Away you go mate.

N.B. With recovery disks it shouldn't ask this question again on subsequent reboots but if it does press Nothing but simply let it install.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thanks wolfey :thumbsup:

well...here goes nuffing...hopefully be back soon :lol:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
well...that was surprisingly easy...new drive is in, os installed along with loads of crap from acer that i dont want and will never use...also a trial for norton...would one of you guys be willing to help me get rid of the stuff i dont want/need and also replace the stuff i lost or suggest other stuff that may be useful...
i have reloaded chrome as the I.E that was on the boot disc is loaded with yahoo and counless other garbage so help with that would be appreciated too...

may i just say a huge thanks for getting me this far, could not have done it without your expertise and time...you guys are the best ( not just you guys..it was a general statement that covered everyone who helps on this site :lol: )

i await your reply with intense excitment and eager anticipation ;)

regards
nige

Edited by vistasucks, 12 January 2013 - 07:41 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Zip into Programmes and Features Nige mate and simply remove the programs that you feel are superfluous such as ACER Games from Wild Tangent, the Norton Trial etc.

If you have doubts about a given program then shout up mate.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 12 January 2013 - 07:50 AM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all...have got rid of everything i didnt want, i now have 212 gb of free space :thumbsup: ...i no longer have the partition on C/...do i need one or was that just an acer thing :confused:
lappy is now a lot slower to load websites, in fact it wouldnt load this site at all first time round...any thoughts :help:
do i need user account control...there is only one account, the main one i set up when vista started first time :confused:
i have installed mbam and avast and turned off windows defender..is that ok :confused:
i expect several more daft questions will present themselves in the near future, for these i apologise in advance :happy:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The first thing I do after a new install on a customers machine is go to Microsoft via Control Panel and get all the latest updates Nige.

The UAC is also in Windows 7 but not as much as Vista and I live with it but you never know when something that's nasty may want permissions so it's up to you if you want to turn it off.

You can leave Defender alone if you want, I never found it much use in my Windows 7 machine anyway.

Malwarebytes and Avast are perfect by the way but on the browser I use Firefox as I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use IE.

Get the updates Nige and then get back to us mate. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just noticed the partition aspect so can you include a screen shot of what it says in Disk Management in your next reply please.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 12 January 2013 - 11:01 AM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
:confused: disk managment....where am i likely to find that :whistling:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Right click on Computer and click Manage.

If the Storage tree is not open then open it and click on Disk Management.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
is this what you wanted ?

Attached Thumbnails

• diskmngnt.jpg

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i am trying to download the 77 updates that windows has picked up, but this machine is being a tad obstinate again and refusing to do anything with them, also the mousepad and scroll buttons have become very jittery, only working when it feels like it :rolleyes: ...i must have been really horrible in a former life, and this is karma coming to get me :(

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
right...downloaded and ran the windows repair thing from tweaking.com...found and repaired 29 items.
ran the updates again, downloaded and installed :thumbsup: mousepad seems better too now :thumbsup:
web pages are still slower than they were though
sorry for the multiple posts, just trying to keep everyone up to date before i forget what i did

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The Disk Management screen shot is fine Nige as everything is now on one single partition and if you ever want to make back ups then obtain an external drive to do so rather than mess about creating a new partition on C:.

I prefer to do things this way because if you made a new partition on C: for backups and the drive dies then so do the backups.

You may also fined that not all Windows updates will download at once so run another search for them, for example do you have both Service Packs yet?

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi wolfey, how would i find if i have sp2 or not..ive looked at download history and its not there, sp1 is though...ran another update scan today and picked up 6 more, that seems to have smoothed things out quite a bit..only one update failed ..microsoft.net framework...error code 57, if that means anything to you...
i still have the boot discs i made, is it worth keeping them or is it best to make backups on my external drive
thanks mate
nige

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Keep re-running Windows Updates Nige and you will get Service Pack 2 eventually.

Regarding .net framework try this link http://www.microsoft...aylang=en&id=22