Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new HDD

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate, i have re run update scanner several times and all it comes up with is service pack 1...i have tried installing it several times which it says have been successful but installation is almost instant ( it should take an hour or so apparently )..i have attached a screenshot of download history...just wondered if i should ignore it or is something going wrong somewhere :confused:
your thoughts are appreciated mate

Attached Thumbnails

• update history.jpg

Edited by vistasucks, 13 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Make sure Automatic Updates are set in to on in Windows updates Nige and check again, if you still have no joy then obtain SP2 from here...

http://download.cnet...4-75450839.html

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate, automatic updates are on...i cant download sp2 till ive got sp1 and it wont let me download that...ive tried from a different site, downloaded the microsoft download tool thingy ( that wouldnt work either )....i will try updates again, if that dont work im going to re format and re install, then try the updates before i get rid of the acer crap....just in case i got rid of something i shouldnt...unless you have a more cunning idea

regards
nige

p.s....just done another scan for updates and the only one it comes up with is this (see screenshot)...1.9mb seems awfully small, considering the time it says it takes to install...im a tad confussed

Attached Thumbnails

• updates.jpg

Edited by vistasucks, 14 January 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You already have SP1 Nige as shown in the list, in fact you have more than one instance so some thing's not right there mate.

Yes do a re-install and start again with the updates.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 17 January 2013 - 01:43 AM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi wolfey, i did a reinstall and managed to get some updates but now im having a right problem...the lappy only fires up when it feels like it, no screen or anything....it wont install the next 3 updates and task manager is showing 100% cpu usage, even at idle...this [bleep] thing is really sarting to piss me off, could do with a bit more help if youre able, mate. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

Attached Thumbnails

• cpu usage.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok let's forget about the updates for the moment and go back into Computer Management but this time click on Device Manager and tell us if there are any asterisks or question marks against any item as you may need to get any applicable drivers from Acer.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate, thanks for the help but the lappy dead at the mo.....the little plastic clip that holds the monitor ribbon in has broken so cant do anything till i get a replacement...thats if i can get one at all....

i think i may just bin the stupid thing and buy a new lappy..i'll let you know as soon as i do

a huge thanks for all your help so far

regards
nige

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You took it apart? :confused:

Ok well please do Nige mate.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
yes mate, had to dismanmtle to fit the new charging jack/port thingy...couldnt get it to charge otherwise

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
This amount of things that you have wrong with this machine makes me think that it's more trouble than it's worth Nige.

I would seriously consider getting a new laptop mate.

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
reckon you could be rght me old mate :lol: ...trip to curry's coming up i think...any recommendations, dont need anything too mental, dont do gaming or anything, just web surfing mainly...is windows8 worth a look or stick to 7 :confused:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well I'm running this Acer box at the moment at around £400 or below depending where you get it plus I find that Acer Support is wicked.

The memory and cpu is par for the course and the hard drive at 750GB is really good but at the end of the day it's up to you mate. :thumbsup:

http://www.expertrev.../specifications

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i'll go have a look round...i'll let you know when i pick summat up...thanks for the help so far mate...much appreciated :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
No worries Nige and please do. :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi wolfey, im back....lappy is up and running, charging is fixed...monitor connection is bodged but working.
i have reinstalled vista and its still not installing SP1, even though it says it has..but the update scanner keeps finding the same update as it says is installed. it is not operating on SP1 but is running fine, so is it worth just leaving as it is and waiting to see what happens

as for the new lappy, funds just wont allow it at the mo so will have to stick with this pile of crap

thanks for your time mate
regards
nige