Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled XP. Driver & Utilities disk won't load

• Please log in to reply

DonnaGraham

DonnaGraham

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Good day,

I reinstalled XP on my Dell Dimension 4600 using the Operating System disk Dell sent me. Now, I'm trying to install the drivers with the Drivers and Utilities disk Dell sent me; however, nothing happens when I load the CD. Other audio CD's load although I don't have sound so I'm unable to play them, but at least they're detected unlike the Drivers and Utilities disk. In Device Manager, Samsung CD-ROM SC-148C is listed. There are no red marks or other warning signs that indicate something could be wrong. The desktop doesn't have Internet yet. I know I can go to the Dell site and download the drivers but I'm unsure which drivers to download as some of the drivers say recommended and others say optional. Also, I need to know the exact order to install the drivers if I choose to go this route; however, I would really like to use the disk since I paid for it, and I'll install the right drivers for sure if I use the disk. Dell support wants to charge $89 to help me since my warranty expired.

Why was I able to install the operating system using a disk and I'm not able to install the drivers and utilities with a disk? What can I do so the CD will install the drivers?

Note: I first installed a new hard drive because I had a virus, then I reinstalled XP.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
The drivers you need should be on your disk tho you may have to look for them. I'm giving you links from the Dell site so that if all else fails you can download them on a second PC and move them to the sick PC with a USB or CD.

The first thing you need after installing XP is the Intel Chipset Driver:

http://www.dell.com/...leId=2961893832

This tells XP all it needs to know about your motherboard. After that XP should recognize and install most drivers.

Your network Driver for wired Internet is the Intel PRO/100 Network Drivers:

http://www.dell.com/...leId=2731106304

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
With the drive CD inserted, open My Computer and see if you can then open the optical (CD/DVD) drive and if it then shows you the files on the driver CD. If so see if there is a autorun.inf file. If yes, right click and Open or Run it.

You could also try making a copy of the driver CD as that sometimes fixes problems like this.

Is the CD recognized if you put it n another computer?

DonnaGraham

DonnaGraham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi RKinner,

Thank you for your response. As you suggested, I will first install the Intel Chip Driver from the Dell site, but before I do I have a question. Do I download all the other "recommended" drivers from the Dell site? I see some of the drivers are listed as recommended, some are urgent, and some are optional. Also, on the Dell support site is a list that shows the order to download the drivers; however, the 1st driver listed to install is "Desktop System Software (DSS) located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page." However, I neither see a System Utilities category nor anything that says DSS. If this particular driver isn't listed for my model and service tag #, should I assume I don't need it?

Thanks again for your help.

DonnaGraham

DonnaGraham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Ztrucker,

Thanks for your response. When I insert the Drivers and Utilities disk into the "sick" desktop, the CD isn't recognized in My Computer. I inserted the Drivers and Utilities disk into my MacBook and the disk is recognized. I'm baffled.

DonnaGraham

DonnaGraham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So, I downloaded the drivers from the Dell site to my MacBook since my Mac is the only working computer I have with Internet, and then I burned the downloaded drivers onto a CD. Now, when I put the burned disk into the "sick" desktop, I get the following message: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

Also, I copied the Dell Drivers and Utilities disk to my MacBook and then tried to burn the drivers to a CD, but I got a message that said there is not enough space on the disk. I have a 700 MB CD-R.

Now what can I do?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You may need to get a friend with a PC to put the drivers on a USB drive. MACs do not use the same format as a PC tho there are programs that allow them to burn so a PC can read them.

Urgent just means this version of the driver fixes a serious bug. Recommended is probably a minor bug. Optional is probably the original version or for something that is not absolutely necessary. It won't hurt to try to install all of them.