Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

All browsers suddenly bacame too slow

• Please log in to reply

krivsonn

krivsonn

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Few days ago, I installed new google Chrome. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but ever since I am having major difficulties browsing internet since it became incredibly too slow. I tried working with other browsers, and problem persists. It literally takes minutes to open pages. I ran a full system scan with Kasperski and Malwarebytes, and they found nothing whatsoever. Otherwise computer works normally, except that it seems when any internet browser is open it seems to affect the speed of the overall system.
I am using XP pro on Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop, 1Gz,750 mb RAM.
Please help.

Edited by krivsonn, 05 January 2013 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Actually, firefox works very slowly and crashes often, I have just tried Crhrome and working with it is just impossible

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I ran an OTL, but I just can not send it, when I try to attach the file with the post, it tells me that there is an error because no file has been selected (not true), and copy-paste gets refused for the post being too long

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Maybe the browser is taking to many resources have you tried lighter web browsers that are not as resource heavy. One that is lightweight on resources and provides all the basic web browsing functions is K-meleon. It is based on the Gecko code used by Mozilla and it is meant to run on all Win32 systems. IF you are not interested in this you could try seamonkey Mozilla's other browser. For a list of other lightweight browsers you culd try here.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am using firefox and chrome. All browsers were incredibly slow all of the sudden, IE and Chrome up to the point that they were not only annoying, but completely useless. Meanwhile, I ran Spybot search and destroy and it obviously did something, since Firefox'es response has improved significantly. After that encouragement, I tried to uninstall Chrome and install it again, result was the same. Browser is useless.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,960 posts
Hi krivsonn,

I have to agree with BLOOPER. You just don't have the resources on your laptop to run your browser of choice. XP works fairly well with 512mb's of RAM and a bit better with 750mb's but it would run much, much better if there was 1gb. 1Gz isn't very good for a processor speed either. I don't think you can upgrade that model of laptop so you might be stuck with what you're getting in speed.

Donna :)