Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen after new RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply

MrPerson

MrPerson

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello,
I am new here but I have a problem. I have a HP 3000 small form factor PC that I bought from the internet a few years ago. The guy said he had changed some of the internal components. It has a dual core 3ghz processor, 3gb of RAM (1, 1gb stick, and 1, 2gb stick). The motherboard is this: http://www.it-pifa.c...P-3000-Mobo.htm

As of Christmas, I installed 64 bit windows 8 and wanted to upgrade the RAM in it. It has 4 slots, and I mistakenly put in 4 4gb sticks. It made my monitor not turn on but the computer acted normal. fans came on, and acted like it was turning on normally. but the light on my monitor would just flash. it did not say "check signal cable" like it was not getting anything. then I found out the motherboard could only take up to 8gb RAM total and 2gb sticks at a time. So I returned the others and got 3 2gb sticks because I had one 2gb stick already. But for some reason it does the same thing. I have tried all sorts of combinations of sticks, only 2 new ones, one new and the 2gb old one, and nothing works. they are both DDR3, I have made sure they are all the way in the slots and have tested it with multiple monitors. Any help would be appreciated because I discovered that I cannot return them If I cannot figure out how to get them to work. Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: MrPerson

In case of a bad MB setting try restoring the MB back to the factory defaults by removing the CMOS battery, see attachment below, once you have done this try placing a single stick of Ram in slot one which is normally the slot nearest to the CPU and see if the computer will boot, if it does post back and let us know before you try anything else.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I would prefer to do that as a last resort because I don't want to end up breaking it, I only know basic things like how to install graphics cards and RAM. I cant go buy another computer if it breaks. I was thinking that maybe it was the BIOS? I got this off the internet about 2 years ago, and I have no idea how old the motherboard or pc itself actually is. But the problem is, that I know the motherboard is the one I linked, but windows 8 tells me that it was made by American megatrends and their site says its was made by HP. So I have no idea where to go to get new bios. I don't want to apply the wrong bios as that could screw up the entire computer too. Thanks for the reply, I will do what you said if I have to, but are there any other possibilities?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replacing it is easier than fitting a video card or Ram, this is the same as if you went into the BIOS and selected the restore default settings but as you have told us you have a blank screen it would appear that you do not have this option.

Have you tried getting into the BIOS by pressing the F1, F10, or F11 key after restarting the computer.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
oh yes, I did that once before while I was researching what to do before posting here. I used the reset to defaults in the BIOS and for some reason it messed with my windows 8 and I had to re insert the disc and let it repair the install.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
That is odd as the BIOS chip and the OS have nothing to do with each other :confused:

The BIOS chip only stores your boot sequence and the MB settings, once POST has successfully completed the BIOS chip relinquishes control of the system to an OS such as XP, Vista, W7/8 etc.

POST explained http://www.poweronselftest.com/

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
just to clarify, I did not take out the CMOS battery, you said that would be the same as going into BIOS and telling it to reset to defaults. I did the reset to default through the BIOS screen, not taking out the CMOS battery, just in case there was any confusion

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I used the reset to defaults in the BIOS

Thanks for confirming this, it was noted in your earlier reply #5 BTW :thumbsup:

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
so any idea on whats wrong yet? and another thing, my computer keeps telling me I need permission to copy files, but when I click allow, try again, or continue, it keeps on brining it back up, not letting me continue, even though I have full administrator rights. it is not a protected folder and it does it with many different ones. any suggestions for that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I have been looking out for an update from you, can you tell us what the present situation is with the Ram.

The other issue must be dealt with separately and you may need to start a new topic on the Operating Systems forum if it is not hardware related.

Advertisements

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I don't really have much more information to give, I reset my bios, but not by taking out my battery. you said it was the same thing. I have tried numerous combinations of the RAM sticks in the slots, but only the original 2 work. I can attach a dxdiag if it is any help

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you provide a link to the new Ram for us please.

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
this is what the memory scanner website said my computer can use and how much my motherboard can handle
http://www.crucial.c...960BE9531D926C3 (tell me if link worked)

the Ram I bought is from a 3rd party selling it through the best buy store site
http://www.bestbuy.c...332gb&cp=1&lp=1

Edited by MrPerson, 27 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Your second link shows a single 8GB stick of Ram is this what you have http://www.bestbuy.c...332gb&cp=1&lp=1

MrPerson

MrPerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
no, it looks exactly the same, but it says 2gb on the sticker on the RAM. and I bought 3 2gb sticks because I have 1 2gb stick in here already. so I figured I could just add 3 more to the other 3 slots

I put in the SKU on the bestbuy site that came with the package the RAM came in. the other result was laptop RAM

Edited by MrPerson, 27 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.